Thank you to everyone who voted on the best recipe for the Rice Krispies Treat After School Conversation Starter Challenge. The landslide winner is….
The Lots of Love Lollipop Treat!
I had a feeling this would be popular, but the voting wasn’t even close. The idea behind this Rice Krispies Lollipop Treat that you can make a regular batch of Rice Krispies Treats and quickly and easily make a special afternoon snack. You can make any shape you want using a cookie cutter, but the heart looks as sweet as it tastes. And, the shape – no matter what you decide to use – can be a great conversation starter with schoolkids of any age. For my little guy I said, “I love you very much. What did you love about school today?”
While you can make one treat from a regular batch of Rice Krispies, this recipe is to make an entire batch of Lollipops.
Rice Krispies Treat Lollipop Recipe
What You Need
- 3 Tablespoons Margarine or Butter (I strongly prefer butter!)
- 1 Package (10 ounce, about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows (Get your kid involved tip: My son helped me count out 40 marshmallows)
- 6 Cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips (I used milk chocolate but semi-sweet is perfect, too.)
- 1 Tablespoon Shortening
- 1 Cup crushed Nuts
- Cookie Cutter
- Lollipop Sticks
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix in Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan coated with cooking spray. (To make them more even and compact, I place waxed paper on top and another pan on top of that to flatten them out.)
- Let Rice Krispies Treats cool completely. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut out shapes.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in a double boiler. (If you don’t have a double boiler, place a few inches of water in a saucepan, place a metal bowl into the pot leaving room between the bottom of the bowl and the water. Melt the chocolate and shortening in the bowl.)
- Dip shapes in melted chocolate. Lay on waxed paper and sprinkle with crushed peanuts. Insert lollipop stick in the bottom of the shape to create a lollipop!
- Let lollipops cool and then enjoy!
Rice Krispies Treat Lollipop keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Makes approximately 12 lollipops, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.