- In 2009, 17.2 million children under the age of 18 are living in food insecure households compared to 16.7 million in 2008.
- That means that nearly one in four children in the United States (23.2%) live in food insecure households.
- Feeding America serves nearly 14 million children through its network of member food banks every year. 3 million of these children are aged 5 and under.
As the economy tanked, the number of families facing hunger grew. Feeding America, the nation’s largest network of food banks, reported a 50% increase in the people they’re serving because of the economy. Many people visited for the first time as they had to choose between paying the mortgage and buying food. What a devastating decision for any parent.
ConAgra Supports Feeding America
ConAgra has a long-standing commitment to Feeding America by providing assistance for nearly 20 years. The majority of ConAgra’s donations are dedicated to ending child hunger by direct support to children or families. The Child Hunger Ends Here campaign is an extension of the company’s commitment to Feeding America and an effort to raise awareness and provide much needed support to children facing hunger. 17.2 million children in the United States don’t get enough food to live active, healthful lives – that’s one in four kids who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. That’s why ConAgra Foods is encouraging people across the country to rally together to help end child hunger in our communities.
How You Can Help
With all that is going on in the world (and the crisis in Japan weighing heavy on our hearts), there are many little things YOU can do to help support the Child Hunger Ends Here campaign. If we all do a little, the impact will be great!
- Go Grocery Shopping – From March through May 2011, ConAgra Foods will embark on its largest branded initiative to fight child hunger in the United States. You can purchase select ConAgra Foods brands and, when you enter a code online, the company will donate one meal to Feeding America – up to 2.5 million meals this during the time period. Visit www.childhungerendshere.com and enter the eight-digit purchase code found on specially marked packages. Participating brands include: Banquet, Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Fresh Mixers, Kid Cuisine, Marie Callender’s and Peter Pan. Every code entered is another meal that ConAgra Foods will enable Feeding America to secure through local food banks. Codes on specially marked packages can be redeemed through August 2011.
- Text to Donate – Make a financial contribution to Feeding America through a mobile giving campaign. Simply text “FEEDKIDS” to 50555 to make a $10 donation directly to Feeding America through June 30, 2011.
- Watch “Child Hunger Ends Here: A Special Report” – On March 19 in select markets, “Child Hunger Ends Here: A Special Report,” a 30-minute special hosted by Al Roker with Natalie Morales, will premiere on NBC highlighting the personal stories of families struggling with hunger and showcasing how Americans can work together to tackle this issue. Check local listings for viewing times. During the special, you can also participate in an online event that will shed additional light on the child hunger issue. By following #ChildHungerEndsHere on Twitter during the broadcast, participants can ask questions from an expert panel, as well as learn about ways to get involved.
- Spread the Word – Get more information on the child hunger issue by following ConAgra Foods on Facebook and Twitter. When you become a fan at facebook.com/ConAgraFoods, you can see how your donations are making a difference and share your own photos and stories. You can also follow the issue and get the latest information at twitter.com/ConAgraFoods.
Over the next couple months, I’ll be sharing more information about the Child Hunger Ends Here Campaign through a sponsored partnership with ConAgra Foods. I’m so honored and excited to be a part of this worthwhile program.