Last weekend we partnered with VTech Toys to host a local “Get Ready for Baby” party. The idea was to learn a bit about the importance of baby’s development, get to know some VTech toys and, of course, socialize with other moms and moms-t0-be. I admit that the timing ended up being less than ideal, but the party and good conversation with friends was a wonderful distraction at a difficult time.
Get Ready for Baby: Infant Development & Learning Tips
Lise Eliot, a professor of Neuroscience and member of the VTech Advisory Council), teaches, writes and lectures on children’s brain and mental development. She provided some important things to keep in mind before and after baby comes home.
- Parents Play a Key Role: For babies, parental interaction is their whole world, so moms and dads play a pivotal role in influencing a child’s cognitive, language, motor and social-emotional development.
- Nuture Language and Sound: Language development opportunities are critical, especially in the first few years. Engage your baby in face-to-face interaction so he can hear: hear language being spoken, listen to the written word read aloud, and practice associating objects with words.
- Healthy Body, Healthy Mind: Don’t forget about your child’s physical development, which is crucial to her ability to learn. From the third month of life onward, a baby’s limb movement increases significantly as she begins to crawl, stand and walk, so make sure she has a safe place to move and age-appropriate toys to grasp, push and pull.
- Eyes on the Prize: Babies are very visual, especially beginning around four months of age. As your child grows and discovers the world around him, he’ll start to recognize different colors, textures, designs and shapes. Help him along by surrounding him with bold, vivid examples that engage these new optical abilities.
- Repetition Drives it All Home: None of these tips are one-off solutions; rather, they are part of a routine you can easily incorporate into your baby’s day. The mind develops through repeated experiences, and the earlier you begin, the better. Find ways to make these tips fun for you AND your baby, because learning is always better with a happy, motivated child.
While I don’t have a baby to put this tips into practice, I did get a great baby fix at the party. I enjoyed some sweet face-to-face cooing and interaction with baby S. His mom and all the other party guests went home with these developmental tips and more from VTech.
VTech Baby Toys
Lucky (little) party guests went home happy with some of the great VTech Toys developmental toys.
- Baby’s Learning Laptop (6 – 36 Months, $15.99): Your child will be ‘wired for learning’ with Baby’s Learning Laptop! The colorful keyboard interacts with a bright light-up screen to teach shapes, common objects and feelings. Entertaining sound effects, melodies and a movable mouse round out the fun of this electronic learning toy!
- Peek At Me Bunny (6 – 36 Months, $14.99): The VTech plush Peek at Me Bunny has two playful sensors for an interactive play experience. The sound sensor activates peaceful sounds, endearing phrases, and short tunes in the “night” mode. The light sensor engages infants in a game of peek-a-boo in the “playtime” mode.
- Submarine Learning Boat (9 Months +, $17.99): The VTech Submarine Learning Boat’s dolphin captain teaches children about colors, numbers, animals, animal sounds and animal characteristics.
- 3-in-1 Learning Zebra Scooter (18-36 Months, $44.99): The VTech 3-in-1 Learning Zebra Scooter converts easily from push walker to ride-on scooter. Kids can discover their wild side as they move with the zebra and explore new territory with the scooter’s walkie-talkie, compass and flashlight. The zebra’s mane features five light-up buttons that teach colors, animals and destinations.
S & C each took home a developmentally appropriate VTech toy.
Party Planning Details
Because the focus of the party was on “getting ready for baby” I planned the party the way I would a baby shower for a friend. I rented a cool local indoor play cafe that allowed plenty of room for the kids who attended to run around and play while the adults chatted. My sister helped me with the food – she is the best. I ordered invitations and custom party printables from Chickabug. Everything looked great!
There’s a reason people hire photographers. As soon as the party got in swing and we got to talking, I totally abandoned my camera. I wish I had more photos of the moms talking, the babies playing and the cool toys. #partyfail
Shop! VTech Toys are available online directly from VTechKids.com, stores nationwide and internet retailers.
Win! One of you will win the VTech 3-in-1 Zebra Scooter!
How to Enter: Leave a comment here with your top tip for new moms to “get ready for baby.”
Bonus Entries – valid only after completing the first required entry. Please leave a separate comment for each you do.
- Follow VTechToys AND The Shopping Mama on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway.
Get Ready for Baby with @TheShoppingMama and @VTechToys http://bit.ly/lDwnwP #VTechToysParty
- Like VTech Toys on Facebook.
- Like The Shopping Mama on Facebook? If you Share or Like this post on your Facebook, leave another comment.
- Subscribe to The Shopping Mama in email or RSS.
Giveaway ends June 10. Open to US residents only.