One of the coolest things about living in central Europe is the proximity to other countries. Over the weekend we took advantage of our location by driving to France. It blows my mind that in 3 hours and about a quarter tank of gas we were in Reims, France.
Reims (which, despite the spelling, they insist is pronounced “Rantz” and rhymes with France) is in the heart of the champagne region of France, but it also has a great deal of history. 26 French Kings were crowned and Germans officially surrendered here in 1945, bringing World War 2 to an end. The city was very lively and full of young people and, frankly, made me feel old!
Family-Friendly Destination Details
- Hotel: Grand Hotel Du Nord. The hotel was centrally located on the main drag in Reims, which was lovely for sight-seeing but very loud at night. Our family slept fine but if we weren’t so sleepy the noise might have been a problem. The bed was enormous by European standards but left next to no room for actually walking around the room.
- Favorite Meals: For a quick kid-friendly meal, Mezzo di Pasta had very affordable pasta dishes and a kid’s menu that included a drink and dessert. I like to think Brasserie Les 3 Brasseurs is Reims’ version of a micro-brewery with great bar food and sandwiches. While every other restaurant in town focused on champagne, this menu included the best matched beer for every food. Of course, my favorite food was found at Waida, a cafe and bakery: macaroons, fresh baquettes and croissants. YUM.
- Must Do Activities: The only real must do activity in town is champagne tours. We visited a small operation called Champagne Martel, toured the “caves” underground and sampled several varieties of delicious champagne. They even poured some grape juice for the kids. The Reims Cathedral is gorgeous and the kids loved the double-decker Merry Go Round near the center of town.
Baby Gear We Used
- Carrier: ERGObaby
- Stroller: Britax B-READY with Second Seat and 2012 Wheels Kit
- Diaper Bag: Baby Cargo Georgi
- Travel Crib: BabyBjorn Travel Crib Light 2
Through Our Lens
Photos taken with my not-so-new any more camera.