We are always looking for ideas on how to save money. To help us out, we enlisted some tips from dollar-stretching expert Melea Johnson and author of Create Your Own Money-Saving Adventure: The Standard Edition (CreateSpace, February 2014). Written for anyone who wants to reinvent their financial lifestyle, the book provides smart and simple strategies for becoming a money-saving master and creating financial independence.
- Stack Your Savings! Use your coupon on top of any in-store discounts and promotions. At the grocery store, you can stack mobile coupons, manufacturer coupons and in-store coupons all on the same item!
- Always Use an Online Coupon Code! If you don’t have a coupon code to use while shopping online, you can use a place called RetailMeNot.com to search for one that will work on your order.
- Take Advantage of FREE Shipping Promotions. Stores like Carter’s, Osh Kosh, Gymboree and Crazy 8 offer Free Shipping No Minimum Amount promotions just about every month. That means you won’t have to leave your home to snag the best deals. Then refer back to the first tip: stack your savings! You can combine the Free Shipping Promo and items on sale or clearance.
- Price Match or Learn to Use Coupons at the Grocery Store. You will save anywhere from 20%- 60% off each trip! Some will be crazier trips than others but if you stick with it, you can take all the money you saved and put it towards fun things instead. If you are new to Price Matching, this should help: http://freebies2deals.com/
- Get Yourself Out of Debt! If you are paying interest on credit cards, you are throwing money away. So you will want to get out of debt. Details on how to do it here: http://freebies2deals.com/
- Once you are out of Debt, Raise Your Credit Score! You don’t want to get high interest rates on things like cars or home loans. Here is how to do it: http://freebies2deals.com/
- Use the Amazon Subscribe and Save Program to save a ton of money on things like Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, Diapers, Wipes and more. It can be tricky to learn how to use it the right way. If you need help, you can go here: http://freebies2deals.
com/2014/02/important-info- save-even-more-on-your-amazon- purchases.html
- Price Compare. When grocery shopping check to see if the store brand or name brand is cheaper. It might surprise you. Many brand name products and store products are exactly the same! They are even manufactured in the same plants. **Sometimes the name brand with a coupon will be cheaper than the store brand price.
- Use Apps to help you save money. My favorite app right now is the Target Cartwheel App. You can clip digital coupons to take money off your total at checkout. Just hand your phone to the cashier to scan your savings barcode or print it off and bring it with you to the store.
- Take a Deep Breath! There are lots of ways to save…. it’s endless! So don’t get overwhelmed and take it a day at time. Start small and keep building.