The Top 10 Commuter Electric Scooters Reviewed
Scooters aren’t just for children anymore! Adults who live in the city may want one to fight congestion on buses, trains, and streets. Unlike with a bike, you don’t have to do any of the work, but standing and the scooter will power you to your destination. You get all the fun of an awesome electronic device that will make you feel like a kid all over again.
What are the other advantages? Scooters don’t require a license; they are easy to park, portable, environmentally friendly, and have a low cost of maintenance. With a scooter, you can get to work without wearing out your shoes and working up a sweat as you swish your way around streets and find the right place to park or if you get a folding scooter, you can take it in and store it under your desk.
With so many options, though, finding the right one of you can seem like a daunting task. No worries, we did exhaustive research and brought all of the best choices right here in a handy list just for you. Take a look at all of the options before you make your pick.
Best Commuter Electric Scooters
The Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter offers you a fast commute and sleek design, all for a moderate price. What you will absolutely love about this scooter is the app you use to control its features. The app lets you control the speed, turn off the lights, activate cruise control, and choose start mode. Pick from three modes, including beginner, which has a speed of up to 9.3 miles per hour, normal mode up to 13.6 mph, or sports mode up to 18.6 mph.
Next, he handy little electric scooter folds down in one step so you can carry it into your office or apartment for easy storage and security. It also includes an upgraded 350-watt motor, which helps the scooter go uphill with ease. Smooth, powerful breaks allow you to stop when you need with shock absorption to avoid vibration for a smooth ride. It also includes two 8.5 inch sturdy tires, dual headlights for night time riding, and lights on the side and wheels too.
The scooter also utilizes a kickstand to keep it from falling over. The handlebars use gripping material as does the roomy foot bar to keep you in place. All the medals are on the handlebars for quick and easy access. It’s battery-operated with along range thanks to 270 WH and can take you 17 miles before you need to recharge and use on manual mode if the battery empties. Finally, it weighs just 34 pounds and measures 44.5 x 18.8 x 44 inches for the best portability.
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE - The electric scooter features an upgraded 350 Watt motor, boasting an 18. 6 MPH max speed and a range of 17 miles, tackles steep 15% hills with ease.
- ONE-STEP FOLD DESIGN - With 1-second foot-actuated folding, the electric scooter can be quickly collapsed. After folding, the MAX scooter can be carried one-handedly, making it a perfect commute companion.
- SAFETY AND COMFORT - Braking is smooth and secure. The excellent braking system makes the brake respond more quickly and improves the safety when in use. The front shock absorber provides maximum rider comfort.
- RIDING HANDILY - Simply connect MAX electric scooter via Bluetooth and use the APP to check the scooter before every use, active cruise control and view other riding statistics, available on iOS and Android.
- UNIQUE AND HUMANIZE - The adult electric scooter is equipped with wider foot anti-slip pedal for larger feet support, dual headlights for safe night riding, and clear LED display for relieved riding.
With the Razor EcoSmart Metro Scooter, you get not just a scooter but a sit-down scooter with the seat and a basket to carry your stuff and carry you. It’s battery-powered was a bamboo deck, a powder coat coded frame and offers an emissions-free ride. Without 500 W extra torque motor and a 36 V electrical system, the scooter can take you where you need to go when you need to go. The vintage bike, like a scooter for adults, makes commuting a breeze.
The silent motor can take you to work or to the local coffee shop with speeds up to 18 mph for up to 40 minutes of continuous use. Operate the scooter with twist-grip acceleration control, and with hand-operated, we are brakes. Large 16-inch pneumatic tires give you a steady, smooth ride, especially when you add in a comfortable padded seat, so you can choose to stand or sit for your ride. A retractable kickstand lets you park the bike where you need to park with ease.
This bike comes with about recharger for the 312 V batteries, which are sealed in under the bamboo foot mat. It measures 59.5 x 20.25 x 41.5 inches and weighs 67 pounds so I can hold someone up to 220 pounds. Use the scooter for people ages 16 and up and expect a little bit of assembly despite the moderate price. Though, this is the only scooter on the market with a large luggage rack and basket to carry your backpack, purse, or even groceries.
Finally, ride to work quietly and efficiently with the super quiet motor that reduces noise pollution. The scooter has a max speed of up to 20 mph, but the average is closer to 18 mph. You may have to read place the batteries according to customer reviews.
- Battery-powered electric sit-down scooter with bamboo deck and powder coated frame for emissions-free transportation
- 500-watt extra high torque motor; 36 volt electrical system; variable speed throttle control
- Ultra padded seat; adjustable handlebar rake and seat; detachable luggage rack/rear fender
- Rear disc braking system; standard bicycle-size 16-inch pneumatic tube tires on spoke wheels
- Features rear wheel drive for increased traction and control
The Segway Ninebot Max offers innovation, function, and ease with a large battery capacity of 551 Wh for a long-lasting smooth ride. It’s speed maxes out at 15.5 mph with a range of up to 40 miles, and it can still carry someone at 220 pounds. What people love about this scooter is the high tech futuristic slick appearance of a matte black finish with little touches of gold and a long-lasting device to cut down commute time.
With both mechanical and electrical anti-locking brakes the system improve safety along with front and rear wheel shock absorbers. Using 10 inch solid tires, passengers get a comfortable, smooth ride even on rough surfaces and bumpy streets. The scooter is a little bit heavy at 41.2 pounds I may not be the most comfortable to carry. Though, it does fall down conveniently for storage in one fluid step.
The scooter also offers a built-in charger and an LED display with Bluetooth capabilities so that you can listen to tunes on the go. Add in cruise control, different writing modes, and app connectivity for additional security and updates, and you have the perfect scooter for short daily commutes. The app allows you to lock and unlock the scooter, share his writing stats, and starts the cruise control.
Last of all, the parts are water-resistant so you can even travel in the rain or you can go uphill with 15% climbing angle ease. Use the scooter at night with 2.5 W LED front headlights and auto rear brake lights. A smart battery management system keeps track of the battery status and prevents short circuits or other problems for a very long battery life. When you are ready to charge, just plugged into the wall and get a full charge and six hours. It’s a fabulous but expensive scooter in the top price bracket.
- Revolutionary Upgrade of Electric Scooters: With powerful 350W motor, Segway Ninebot MAX can reach to 18.6 mph, travel up to 40 miles and max load of 220 lbs. Our Smart Battery Management System assures the battery safety and extends the battery life.
- Portable Folding Design: One-step folding system for easy portability. Segway Ninebot MAX electric scooter can be folded with ease in mere 3 seconds. Carry it on public transportation, store it in your car and any destination you desire effortlessly.
- Safe & Comfortable Riding: the mechanical and electrical Anti-Lock braking system ensure braking safety. Front and rear wheel shock absorbers equipped with self-healing 10-inch pneumatic tires provide max comfort, even on rough surfaces or speed bumps.
- Innovative & Superior Technology: With the LED display, bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, select riding modes and mobile app connectivity for additional security, firmware updates and more. Built-in charger, only use one cord for fast charging.
- Warranty: Segway Ninebot MAX is the most sturdy and powerful electric kick scooter. One-year or 180-day warranty for different parts, please refer to warranty information in product details below, contact us at email@example.com if you have any problems.
If you want a Segway Ninebot for almost half the price, try the NinebotES1 Gen2 folding kick scooter. It comes with the brand and power you love but a much more manageable price tag. Compared to its brother above, this scooter only goes down about three miles for a max speed of 15.5 mph, but the price really paid for the extra range as this scoot can only go 15.5 miles while the more expensive version could go just over 40 miles in distance.
The ES1 also is quite a bit less just 25 pounds, which makes it easier to move around and carry. Charging time is also cut in half for the built-in 184 WH battery as you can charge it and just 3.5 hours. The slope resistance is low or two as this one only has a max incline of 10% you also lose rear shock absorption. This scooter can, however, accommodate up to 120 pounds, and you can still use an app to manage your rides and customize your experience.
Some other similarities include the smart management system for the battery, one-step folding system, a slick modern design, wide solid tires, and a smart LED screen. If you don’t have as a far to travel or if you need to save money or carry a lighter scooter, this may be the better option for you. Both scooters come from a brand you can trust and terrific customer ratings.
- Sharing the Future of Micro Mobility: With an upgraded motor of 300W, the Segway ES1 Gen2 KickScooter can reach to 15 mph, travel up to 15 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs. It help us escape heavy traffic and revolutionizing the way we ride.
- Lightweight & Foldable: With a total weight of 24.9 lbs (11.3 kg) and the one-click folding system, the Segway ES1 Gen2 KickScooter can be carried with one hand. Easy to fold and store in a car or on public transport, making it a perfect travel companion.
- Safe & Comfortable Riding: Front wheel shock absorbers equipped with large solid tires provide maximum rider comfort. The mechanical and electrical anti-lock braking system ensures an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13.1ft.
- Superior Technology: Equipped with LED display, bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, mobile APP connectivity for firmware updates and more. Quality inspection has been conducted for every scooter before sale (some test data may be on the app).
- Quality Assurance: We have upgraded the motor and control board for all ES1 Gen2. We sincerely apologize for the confusing ES1 label. Please refer to warranty informaiton in product details below, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems.
Kids want an electric scooter too, and they can have one thanks to the Razor Power A2 Electric Scooter. It’s designed for children ages 8 and up and comes in a sleek black and red design to work for both boys and girls. A lightweight design allows kids the ability to carry the 14-pound foldable scooter with ease. Your child can ride the scooter until they weigh 143 pounds.
The power aid to provide a high torque acceleration and can get up to 10 mph to get kids to school other friend’s house fast. A lightweight aluminum T tube and deck provide a dependable ride, and a kickstand keeps the scooter standing. Kids can activate the throttle control with some activation to power the 22 V lithium-ion motor. And parents won’t have to do any maintenance work on the alignment, the chain, or the belt as this is a virtually maintenance-free scooter.
However, the bike comes with mixed reviews as it does not have shock absorption, and the batteries RT need to be replaced sooner rather than later. It does come with a fabulous price, and the battery usually lasts up to 40 minutes. The airless rubber tires help to keep the scooter lightweight and maintenance-free. Though the bike will not go very far as it can only go about 6 miles before it needs to be recharged, but it does come with a battery charger that you plug into the wall. Do you make sure your child wears a helmet when riding a scooter, especially one that’s powered.
- The easy to ride Razor Power A2 electric scooter features a kick-to-start, high-torque, hub motor, providing lithium-ion powered electric scooter action at speeds up to 10 mph (16 km/h) for up to 40 minutes of continuous use
- Compact and lightweight, the Power A2 features our patent-pending, anti-rattle folding mechanism that makes it a breeze to fold up and carry with you when you’re on-the-go or safely store when you reach your destination
- The in-hub electric motor is virtually maintenance free, with no alignment issues, chains or belts that can put your ride on the sidelines
- The push-button throttle control provides an intuitive, instant connection to the high-torque, 22-volt lithium-ion powered hub motor for quick acceleration and smooth cruising at speeds up to 10 mph (16 km/h)
- Recommended for ages 8 and up; supports riders up to 143 pounds
For a slightly lower priced scooter, the Electric Scooter by Magicelec has a few extras and tons of value. First, it can hold more weight than the average scooter, which only holds 220 pounds as this one can hold up to 264 pounds. Second, it also has a purchasable front storage pocket to store your phone, keys, or other necessities. Third, the 8.5 in shock observing tires include air-free technology, which eliminates the need to inflate the tires to support weight.
Both the front and the back tires offer a good shock absorbers in an anti-slip performance. Total, the scooter Waze 28 1/2 pounds, and with one single click, you can filter system down to a manageable carry weight, which makes this a fabulous option for lightweight travel. This adult electric scooter utilizes breaks in both the front and the back with an antilock braking system for added safety, and so you get a smooth and comfortable ride.
Another great feature the scooter offers is cruise control, which you can use by maintaining speeds for at least five seconds. The built-in LCD display shows you the battery condition, so you know exactly how much battery life you have left. However, the scooter can only go about 13 miles before you need to charge it, but it does come with a battery included.
Finally, the 250-watt scooter comes with a charger and both front and rear lights for night time scooting. Fold it up with one click and carry it anywhere you need to go. It can travel up to 16 mph over pavement, grass, and even bumpy roads.
- 【8.5‘’Shock Absorbers Tires】"Air Free"technology eliminates the need to inflate tires to support weight. The tires require less maintenance and are not afraid of punctures. Front and rear tires with good shock absorption and anti-slip performance.
- 【Lightweight & Foldable】 E scooter with a total weight of 28.6 lbs (13 kg) and the one-click folding system, the H85B electric scooter can be carried with one hand, making it the perfect lightweight travel companion.
- 【Double Braking System】 Adult electric scooter features brakes at both the rear disc braking and the front anti-lock braking system for added safety. The electric scooter designed to give a smooth and safe ride when in using.
- 【Fixed Speed Cruise】Press to turn cruise control on/off. Maintain speed for at least 5 sec to use this feature.
- 【LCD Display】LCD display to show you the battery condition (all 4 LEDs are lit, means 100% to 86% battery life, 3 LEDs lit, a battery life of 85% to 71% and so on)
The UberScoot looks like a scooter mixed with a mountain bike, and it ready to hit the road at speeds of 20 miles plus for up to a distance of 12 miles. If you want to go farther, activate the economy mode for a longer range. It also comes with a seat to allow you to sit, or you can take it off. Charging the huge 1600 watt motor and battery takes about 6 to 8 hours. That’s a whole lot of unique features for just one scooter.
It’s also the heaviest scooter at 117 pounds and a carrying capacity of 265 pounds. Also, it comes with front and rear disc brakes, 11-inch pneumatic knobby on/off-road tires on aluminum alloy rims. Fold it up with a Posi locking system. You can also monitor the battery on the LED screen and requires a key to ignite.
The features just keep coming with a smart battery charger, front and backlights, a kickstand, and a quick-release seat if you want to stand and get the padded seat out of your way. This is the only rugged scooter ready to head into the woods and take you off-roading, but it comes at high price, and it’s hard to carry. While you could drive this to work, only choose this option if your job isn’t in the city but instead requires some rough terrain.
The RocketX Electric Kick Scooter offers a low price and a sleek design but doesn’t out ride the other scooters. It has a range of 8-13 miles depending on the terrain and can got at a top speed of 12.4 mph. It’s also only for smaller adults or teenagers under 220 pounds. This is the right scooter for people on a tight budget who don’t need anything super fancy, just faster, easier way to get to work.
With this scooter, you get an LCD display to monitor your battery and comes with a lithium-ion battery. The scooter measures 40.2 x 17.3 x 6.3 inches and weighs a rather heavy 31.9 pounds. Unlike some of the other scooters, this one does not work as a manual scooter as well because of the weight, so plan your trips wisely.
The scooter includes 6.5-inch wheels and only needs 3-5 hours to charge. It’s not the best option for wet roads or riding in the rain. Fold up the scooter for quick and easy storage. Finally, it comes with a front light but no backlight.
- 8-13 miles range with a single charge; 12.4 mph top speed; 200 lbs max supported the weight
- LCD display for battery indicator (This model doesn't include Bluetooth feature; tail light is not including)
- An ideal transportation tool for short distance commuting; Easy to store: folding size 38"x15.7"x15.7"
- Charging Time: Only charge between 3-5 hours. We do not recommend overcharge battery.
- IMPORTANT: We do not recommend to use the scooter on wet roads or during rain as the unit is not waterproof. Any water damages will not be covered under the warranty.
The Macwheel Electric Scooter doesn’t come as highly rated as the options above but does offer some valuable features. For example, the powerful 350 W motor can take you 15.6 mph, but only under specific conditions no it can’t overcome slope and other obstacles thanks to the high power. What you will really like is the mid-range price and the ability to travel 18 1/2 miles on one charge. Though, you’ll get more distance on smoother rides than you will on bumpy or harsher terrain.
The tires are another great feature as they measure 8.5 inches and the foam, non-pneumatic inner foamed tires, which require less maintenance, absorb shock, or anti-puncture, and explosion-proof to give your scooter and longer life. With the double braking system, you can be sure you will be able to stop when you need to, as the bike features both front and rear anti-lock brakes for extra safety and for a smooth ride.
Fold the scooter down in just three seconds to take up less space when not in use and carry around with you to your office or into your apartment. It can hold a load capacity of up to 220 pounds and offers at 270 Wh long-range lithium battery with an included charger and the tools you need to set up the scooter.
Finally, this electric scooter has three-speed modes, including 8 km, 15 km, and 25k depending on your speed needs. You do need to get the scooter up to three Miles per hour before the motor will engage, which is one of the reasons for the low rating, as well as you cannot drive this in the rain or in freezing conditions. It does, however, had an LED screen and front and rear lights.
- 【Powerful 350 Watt Motor】A powerful 350W hub motor propels the electric powered scooter tops out at 15.6 miles per hour under specific conditions, which can easily overcome slope and other obstacles when riding, much better than the 250W motor of many scooters
- 【Long-range Battery】High capacity battery (270Wh) delivers over 18.6 miles travel range. With 18.6 miles on one charge of 4 hours, it is very reliable to get to where you need to go. The range may vary depending on riding conditions, rider's weight, speed and/or terrains
- 【8.5" Non-Pneumatic Tires】The "Air Free" technology eliminate the need for tires to be inflated with air to support the weight, with this technology, tires need less maintenance and have no worry of punctures. Also the large 8.5" front and rear tires have a good performance in shock absorption and anti-slip
- 【Double Braking System】Features brakes at both the rear disc braking and the front anti-lock braking system for added safety. The MX1 electric scooter designed to give a smooth and safe ride when in use
- 【Portable Folding Design】3 seconds folding system plus foldable handlebars, making the scooter more portable and less space-intensive when folded. The e-scooter is a great gift idea for recreational use, also a great alternative for anyone who has to do part of a commute to work on a train, bus or school
The last scooter comes with standard features but a low price and two color options, including white or black. As most scooters are black, a white one may stand out better in a sea of scooters in the city. What’s really unique about this scooter is smart foot control acceleration to speed up. In as little as 15 seconds, you can get up to speeds of 25 km (about 15 miles) with a highest speed of 30 km (about 18 miles).
A smart chip located inside the pedal adjusts to the best speed for the road conditions without recoil for speeding up or slowing down you you get a super comfortable ride. The features keep coming with 8-inch vacuum tires which are explosion-proof and can handle rough terrain with shock absorption. Add in the LG detachable, lithium battery for a longer, safer ride but may require changing after six months, this allows you to change the battery if you want to go a longer distance.
The controls are easy to use press the handbrake to operate. Also, you can charge the battery in just 4-6 hours, and the scooter even offers an ECO mode to lower battery consumption if you got at least 15 mph. Finally, the lightweight scooter only weighs around 22 pounds and includes a kickstand.
- INNOVATIVE FOOT CONTROL ACCELERATOR: RND R1 opens a new SMART TRAVEL ERA. R1 uses Foot Control Accelerator to speed up. Only 15 seconds riders can reach the speed from 0-25KM/H. (The highest speed is 30KM/H.) The smart chip inside the pedal will adjust the most suitable running speed according to its loading and the road condition, riding speed is as smooth as the car driving. There is no recoil force when accelerating and decelerating, giving you an unprecedented comfortable riding experience!
- 8 INCH VACUUM TIRE: R1 also made great efforts in tire optimization. R1 chooses a larger and wider 8-inch explosion-proof vacuum tire as its rear tire which can easily go through various road surfaces and ease bumps. More importantly, R1 move its motor to rear wheel to propel the entire scooter instead of pulling the scooter also contributed greatly to reducing the recoil.
- LG DETACHABLE BATTERY: R1 uses LG UL 2272 certificated Lithium battery, which lasts longer and safer, and doesn't have to worry about the explosion. At the same time, the R1's battery is detachable, simply remove the bottom screw and pull out the bottom cover, which is convenient for drivers who want to upgrade or fix the battery. Each R1 battery is guaranteed for 6 months. If there is any problem with the battery within 6 months, please contact us for replacement.
- E-ABS BRAKE: The R1 is equipped with EBS brake for safety. Once pressing the handbrake, the E-ABS Electromagnetic Power Brake will cut off the power and then reduce the speed for double safety. R1 guarantee the Safety Braking Distance is less than 3.5 meters when under 20km/h speed. Since the motor and brake of the R1 are at the rear tire, there is no situation of overturning when braking. No fear of continuous downhill braking!
- SPEED & BATTERY LIFE: R1 uses 36V/5.2Ah lithium battery which will last for 18-23KM under one fully charge (4-6H). Riding distance will different from road conditions and load bearing. Under normal circumstances, we suggest customer to riding at 25km/h. Under this speed, the scooter will enter ECO mode and lower the battery consumption.
Questions About Commuter Electric Scooters
What is the advantage of an electric scooter over an electric bike?
The main differences between an electric scooter and an electric bike is the size, weight, distance, and position. Scooters allow you to stand and can only go around 18 miles or less before they need to charge. Bikes can go up from 22-50 miles, so if your commute is longer and you want an economical travel method, you may want to pick a bike instead.
Next, Bikes are much heavier, and you cannot take them into your office with you as a security method. Scooters also take up less space as they fold up, and most bikes, especially electric bikes, don’t fold up and take up three times the space. However, bikes tend to do better in rough terrain thanks to much bigger tires. It all depends on your commuting needs and distance.
If you are wondering what commuting to work on an electric scooter is like, check out this video:
Are electric scooters safe?
Scooters do come with risks, especially when going on hills but in general, are very safe. Over the years, scooters have become very reliable. To ensure full safety, you will need to wear a helmet when scooting and if you want toss in some knee pads and elbow pads. Though, scooters are very low to the ground and don’t leave a lot of room to fall very far.
Do I need a license or insurance for my scooter?
Always check your local law, but in general, most people do not need either a license or insurance for an electric scooter. You should check with your insurance company to see if your scooter is covered as they are often easily stolen.
The best scooter on this list is by far and away the Segway Ninebot MAX Folding Electric Kick Scooter as it comes from a trusted company and an extended battery life with an impressive range of 40 miles. You might not even need to charge the battery more than once or twice a week, unlike most of the other options that require daily charging after only a few miles. It also comes with all the other innovative features you will love, like Bluetooth capability, cruise control, multiple riding modes, and an app to keep track of your riding and so much more!