The Top Educational Toys for an 10 Year Old Reviewed
At ten-years-old your child is at a confusing stage in their life.
Not quite a teen but now that they are in double digits they feel less like a child and more like a pre-teen. They are ready for new exciting learning challenges.
The best educational toys for 10-year-olds offer challenge while helping your child steer away from babyish toys they tend to disregard at this tender age.
Find the best options right here as we did all the research for you.
Best Educational Toys for 10 Year Olds
The field of educational toys for ten year old children is crowed, so finding quality toys that will both engage and challenge them can be a long search. We’ve tried to save you some time in that hunt, by coming up with our picks for the best educational toys for 10-year olds:
Building toys appeal to all ages and while Lego’s are the favorite, some kids prefer K’nex for more building range. This building set offers a whole new world of possibilities with different shapes and connectors than with Lego’s. From airplanes to cars and everything in between, this set opens your child’s imagination.
The set includes 705 classic K’nex parts and pieces. With rods and connectors in multiple shapes and sizes, allow children to build and then rebuild to their heart’s desire. Also, K’nex include real moving parts and their designs created can move! K’nex offer a versatile toy with an instruction book to inspire over 70 creations with step-by-step instructions.
Let your child’s curiosity soar with this STEAM toy. Engineering mixed with arts allows your child to learn while using different parts of their brain. A great toy to fuel imagination but also learning patience, focus, and science.
Finally, K’nex offer many sets in tons of variations to build on this starter set. Includes a storage box for easy cleanup. Works best for children’ between ages 7-12 and can pass down to a younger sibling after your child finishes with the set.
The pieces are very small just like with Legos and some children may have a difficult time manipulating the pieces. The storage box is way bigger than the number of pieces inside. Consider storing in a smaller more manageable box.
- CLASSIC PIECES – This set comes with 705 classic K’NEX parts and pieces. These rods and connectors all attach to one another in different ways, allowing kids to create a multitude of shapes, figures, and models with ease. The snap fit pieces stick together securely and can be easily reassembled into other creations
- REAL MOVING PARTS – Unlike other building toys, K’NEX allows kids to create unique models that actually move. Kids can make interactive toys using K’NEX parts whether it’s wheels, rotors, wings, and tracks. Making rolling cars, working amusement park rides, or a transforming animal isn’t just a dream when you have this building set!
- CONVENIENT STORAGE –It can be a problem to store small plastic toy parts into one place, and the last thing you want is them getting lost! Keep all the K’NEX parts in one place that is easy to access. Store all those precious pieces in this handy treasure chest that kids will always love to open. Packaging may vary.
- VERSATILE – The included instruction booklet shows builders how to create 70 unique models with its step-by-step instructions. This toy is ideal for boys and girls aged 7+ and up, as they can make anything that their minds can come up with. Foster imagination and creativity with the sheer amount of models to be made with the K’NEX 70 Model Building Set.
- STEAMagination – It’s the connection of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, & math) with a child’s natural curiosity and creativity and it powers the fun of each and every K’NEX building set. Building with K’NEX puts children on a path towards a fundamental understanding of STEAM/STEM subjects.
Turning math into a game benefits children as they find a way to enjoy the difficult subject. While some children love and excel at math, other kids may need the Prime Climb Math Game to entice a love of math. This award-winning game is sure to win your child over.
The game is perfect for 2-4 players ages ten and up. They can learn the game quickly and replay over and over again with endless possibilities with strategy and luck. Gameplay works in a specific order to help children learn order. Roll, move, bump, draw.
Children apply the numbers they roll with either addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to make moves. The game works like the game Sorry but with math. Besides the board, pawns, and cards, a multiplication table comes with to help reinforce rote memorization.
Try several of the variations in the instruction booklet. A great way to play with your kids and teach strategy with math. A simple game with lots of benefits.
The instructions need a little updating as they aren’t always easy to follow. However, you can find instructions on YouTube which is what I do for most games anyway as most game instructions making learning gameplay difficult.
- Award-winning, beautiful, colorful, mathematical board game
- Perfect for 2-4 players, ages 10 and up. Also great for younger players with adult guidance
- Easy to learn, and endlessly replayable, thanks to dynamic mix of strategy and luck
- Color-coded board makes multiplication and division as easy as combining colors
- Quality guaranteed! If defective in any way, contact us and we will provide a replacement.
If your child loves Ferris wheels at amusement parks then they may love this unique Wooden Ferris wheel Building Kit to create their own ride at home. A great ride for Lego characters or even Shopkins for a day out at the fair. Not only does this set teach your some important skill but makes a fun addition to the toys they already have.
The blank wood canvas means children can paint the pieces to their specifications for an added level of learning with design. Six vibrant paints come with the set for decorating. First, they need to build the easy to assemble Ferris wheel and get it moving with a real motor.
Tinkering Lab’s set makes for a fun introduction to engineering and technology along with other STEM benefits. Best for children over 6-years-old. Includes all of the tools, a motor, screws, and more. Great for a rainy day for two or more kids for added team-building skills.
No problems with the toy except paint can get messy. Teach your child proper work ethics. Stay on a vinyl table cloth or even paper bag workspace and to use one paint at a time before cleaning up.
- Fun & Imaginative STEM Educational toys - Foster your kids’ imagination and creativity with this building toys as they build a colorful ride that works. Ideal diy kit for kids ages 6 year old and up.
- Intro To Engineering For Kids - Learn real world application by building erector set using 3d puzzles , motor , snap circuits for kids. Our science toys include all the tools and materials necessary to complete this mechanical structure.
- Easy To assemble Diy Toys Building Sets - Aspiring engineers & tinkerers will be proud of their unique structure that actually moves. This tinkering labs kit includes six vibrant and non-toxic paint to decorate.
- Eco- Friendly 3D Puzzle For Adults and Kids - Our fun brain toys are safe, stimulating fun. Perform rewarding science experiments with your family or friends. Perfect Gift for kids ages 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 teens and Adults
- Great Gift For Boys And Girls - Our science kits for kids is the best gifts for kids, teens, men, women and grandpa and grandma. This perfect IQ builder is a great choice as Thanksgiving Day Gift,Birthday Gift,Christmas Gift,Father's Day Gift, science fair and weekend family activities.
My children began playing Catan with the family at ten-years-old. At first, the gameplay was excruciating as my children learned strategy. Now, the game is a favorite for game night with even my 8-year-old starting to learn how to play. Some ten-years-olds may find the game difficult but take your time and teach them for a fun night of strategy.
The game is not simple but gets much easier after a few rounds through the game. The board setup changes with every game or can stay the same if you prefer. Each game has five resources wood, wool, rock, brick, and wheat with corresponding cards. You need these resources to upgrade your town to earn points and win the game.
Players place their roads and towns strategically on numbers that roll the most to earn more resources than their opponents. The game teaches children to think before they act and plan for the future. Math and engineering come into play as well along with good sportsmanship and other beneficial skills.
My children’s gameplay in other games improved significantly with the introduction of this game. Like chess, the game makes you think several moves ahead. The perfect game for family night and learning as a family. A great game with endless possibilities and several extensions for more fun with more people.
Like the math game above, the included instructions are difficult to follow until you learn more. YouTube comes to the rescue again with a video on how to play. Most people know someone who owns the game so they might be able to teach you as well.
- The incredibly popular, Multi award winning civilization building board game of harvesting and trading resources
- Players Control their own civilization and look to spread across a modular hex board in a competition For victory Points
- Beware the robber’s nefarious plans as he steals resources and plunders the wealthy
- 3 to 4 Players, 60 minutes, ages over 10
Board games enchant children and offer an amusing way to learn which is why I put in a third board game. However, this game focuses on fast-paced wordplay with letters. See who can figure out the crazy word the fastest with Crazy Letters.
With five decks of cards and dice, your family needs to race to figure out the word on the card the fastest. Each card has one word in different fonts, colors, and size out of order to create the challenge. The categories include games and hobbies, in the kitchen, people and parts, here and there, along with plants and animals.
The first player to figure out the word shouts out the answer to win the round. A fun way to encourage quick thinking along with thinking outside the book. Looking at items in a new way for the answer increases brain strength. Fun for the whole family ages 10 and up or for younger strong readers.
Finally, the easy-to-follow gameplay and rules make mastering the game easy for everyone. Includes 550 cards, 1 dice, and the instruction booklet. Increase your child’s reading skills and word recognition to open up new brain paths.
Some people seem more inclined to sees the words while others need to work harder. This is a game where some can have a strong advantage over others. Otherwise, the game works for the whole family.
- GAMES THAT TEACH: Crazy Letters from MindWare is a fast-paced word game that will strengthen quick-thinking skills and leave everyone wondering which way is up!
- TOPSY TURVY WORDS: Once a card is in play, all players are racing to decipher the word on the card. There are no extra letters and the letters are not scrambled; however, depending on where you are sitting and how you look at the card, you may need to read it from right to left instead of left to right.
- EASY-TO-FOLLOW RULES: An engaging game with easy to follow rules, Crazy Letters is a wonderful game for a variety of ages. The rules are basic: roll the die to determine the category to draw from, be the first to shout out the correct answer to collect the card, the first player to collect 20 cards wins the game.
- FAMILY FAVORITE: Crazy Letters is a fantastic game for families as it can involve a wide range of ages. It only takes a few moments to explain, so new players such as extended family or friends can jump right in and play.
- INCLUDES: 550 cards, 1 die and rules (Ages 10 and up)
Bring on the next generation of scientists with the Yellow Scope Foundation Chemistry Kit. The Bubbles and Beakers set allows your child to try out over 19 experiments and find a love for science. Like all STEM kits, this one makes learning fun by exploring future career paths in enticing manners for children.
The set includes three beakers, food dyes, a thermometer, timer, goggles, chemical reagents, food dye and everything else needed for hours of exploring chemical reaction, molecular motion, and temperature. A full-color instruction notebook walks kids through various experiments for hours of learning. Store everything on the safe chalkboard surface mat for less mess.
Last of all, made for children between ages 8 to 12. Geared toward girls but works great for boys also as none of the items come in specific gender colors or styles. Store everything in the sturdy box the kit came in.
The experiments offer a repetitive and simplistic nature. Engaging for some kids but not for others. Also, the price is higher than necessary for the brand name based on the included supplies. If your child has a food dye allergy, please avoid this kit.
- LEARN THE BASICS - The 32-page lab notebook teaches 8-12 year olds about key scientific concepts: chemical reactions, molecular motion, and the effect of temperature.
- AWARD-WINNING - This kit has won a Parents' Choice Gold Award, a Dr. Toy Best Educational Toys Award, and was Finalist for Toy of the Year.
- 19+ EXPERIMENTS - The detailed lab notebook outlines 19+ colorful and surprising experiments on chemical reactions, molecular motion and temperature. It also includes fun facts, quizzes and lots of room for kids to doodle, design and create their own experiments.
- FUN & EDUCATIONAL - The kit contains real lab equipment, including 3 beakers, a high temperature thermometer, a digital timer, colored safety goggles, a chalkboard lab mat and loads of chemical reagents for hours and hours of experimental fun.
- STEM GIFT - This kit provides hours of engaging and fun scientific learning, making it a great STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and STEAM (STEM + Art) gift that will get girls excited about science and help build confidence.
By combing snap circuits with Lego-like building blocks children can combine two STEM skills, engineering, and technology. This 3-D Snap Circuit Set makes learning how things run easy. Even better, this set was a finalist in the Toy of the Year Awards. Mix with Legos for larger creations!
The set includes over snap circuits parts, bricks for building up or over, and an easy-to-read idea manual for instructions. From lights to sounds and moving parts your child can put together working circuits and gain an understanding of how electronics tick.
If your kid likes Legos, this set will appeal to their inner engineering desire by increasing their abilities. They can motorize their creations on the base with lights and sounds all while building incredible buildings. Great for teamwork and fostering interpersonal skills while focusing on STEM.
Lastly, the set requires batteries to power the circuits. Works best for children ages 8 to 15. Serves as a great base for school or science fair projects.
Some children may have trouble following the instructions as they can confuse. Help your child if this is an issue as the vast majority of users had no problems.
- Combine Snap Circuits with building bricks to create amazing combinations of construction and circuitry!
- With our innovative bric-2-snap technology, kids can wire up their brick builds with Snap Circuits lights, sounds, moving parts, and 3-D Circuits to invent almost anything and make it go!
- Engineer new brick builds & create your own Snap Circuits builds-- the possibilities are as endless as your imagination
- Snap Circuits bric: structures comes fully loaded with 20 Snap Circuits parts, 75 bric-2-snap adapters, over 140 compatible building bricks, and a full-color, easy-to-read idea manual
- Idea book gets you started with over 20 illustrated projects
The TELMU Telescope brings the solar system to your smartphone! Children can learn so much from viewing outer space. The ultra-clear of refracting telescope comes with 400 mm of focal length and 70 mm aperture for crystal clear pictures. It also uses optical glass coating for enhanced image brightness to protect your eyes.
To replaceable Kellner, eyepieces enhance the power of this telescope for optimal magnification. Includes a mounting bracket and crossline, and a backpack for storage. Children can share pictures in real-time via their telephone as they discover the secrets of the universe.
This top of the line telescope comes with all the advanced features a child could need to take I look outside their atmosphere. They can set up on the included tripod with 360° rotation and use the two different eyepieces for better views.
A unique learning tool they can share with the entire family for understanding the scientific world and how the universe relates to them. Great for budding astronauts and scientist to find if they have an aptitude or interest in this avenue. Also works well for children interested in a spy career.
A small percentage of customers found the quality lacking as they receive defective units. At first, the child may need help setting up the telescope and learning to use it correctly. A good first telescope but when your child is older, if they have an interest you may want to upgrade to a professional unit that costs more.
- ultra-clear Refracting telescope: with 400 mm focal length and 70 mm aperture to capture more clear picture and optical glass coated for enhanced image brightness to protect your eyes. A awesome tool helps beginners and students to explore the space.
- OPTIMUM MAGNIFICATION: Two replaceable 1. 25" Keller eyepiece(K6mm/16X, K25/67X) to enhance the power for this astronomical telescope. 5X24 finder scope with mounting bracket and cross line, erect-image diagonal make locating objects more easily.
- easy to operation: No tools are required for refractor telescope even for the novice. Adjusted from about 17. 7-Inch to 35. 4-Inch. Allowed for many different observational positions and keep the whole tripod steady With castor wheel.
- sharing in real time: you can take pictures or videos and share them with your family and friends in real time with the phone holder. Star telescope is suitable for kids who love science to discover the mystery of universe.
- RELAIBLE - Come with a backpack and delicate box as a extra gift to your family. TELMU provides 24 month to our customers. If you have any problem with this space telescope after you receive it, please contact us at first time.
Rosetta Stone has offered the gift of language to users around the world for decades. Now, this software provides an awesome method I’m learning a language at home for your child. They can pick from one of 24 different languages with immediate access to all of the levels for one year.
The software includes access to an app so your child can learn wherever they’re most comfortable. This software can be used on Windows-based computers, Mac computers, and both Android and iOS. This software allows them to perfect pronunciation and learn progressively so they can thrive in real-world conversations in other languages.
The dynamic immersion method can help them to learn to speak like a native. Of course, they need to practice daily for full benefit. Learning a new language young allows children to open new brain pass while increasing memory and brain function.
From common greetings to directions and everywhere in between your child can increase their knowledge of the new language and help to increase vocabulary before taking a new language and high school. Children’s brains are still growing and have more space for an additional language the younger they are and this gives them more chance for success in high school.
The software may seem challenging for adults but children tend to learn languages easier than adults and we’ll find the immersion successful. The milestone tests at the end of each section can be very difficult to pass.
- Choose one of any of our 24 languages and get immediate access to all levels of Rosetta Stone with no expiration
- Activation Code By Mail: We'll ship your activation code to your mailbox. Head to rosettastone product activation to activate your product and start learning today
- Future software updates and support for the life of the product
- Multi - device capability: Access across your devices mobile, tablet, and desktop
- PHRASEBOOK: Get easy-to-understand greetings, phrases, expressions, and more with Phrasebook.
Learning about money and saving is one of the most difficult challenges for most people. The younger you teach your child to save and budget their funds the better prepared for the future they will be. The Moonjar canisters can hold both bills and coins.
Providing your children with the allowance does mean they need to take some responsibility around the house to earn money for their money box. These skills help them learn social responsibility and personal responsibility. Once they have the money the moon jar helps them to organize their money.
The plastic bank offers three sections. One for money to save, one for money to spend, and one hard to share. Each canister measures just over 5 inches tall and can be held together with him included rubber band in a fun geometric shape.
The bank also includes a paper passport with sections for kids to learning about deposits and withdrawals. They also learn math and responsibility. Just don’t put them in charge of paying bills yet. This will, however, encourage them to be responsible for money lifelong.
The bank is a little small for bills unless you fold them up very tightly. However, this does keep your children from accessing their money and spending it. The materials used I’m not very sturdy for the price you’re more paying for the concepts than the carry-out.
- Multiple award winning bank with 3 tin canisters. Each canister has either save, spend, or share on the side.
- Each canister measures 5.25 " tall. When held together be the included rubber band the set measure 5" wide x 5" long.
- Moneybox includes a paper passbook with sections for kids to indicate what they deposited and withdrew from each of the save, spend, and share canisters. A great help to learning math too.
- Each canister has a color coordinated acrylic lid with a money slot measuring 1.5" long and 5/16". Kids can easily deposit coins and folded bills.
- The Family Guide booklet provides advice and ideas that encourage lifelong financial responsibility and learning.
Questions About the Best Educational Toys for 10-Year-Olds
My child hates reading even instructions to finish a project. Will he still like these projects?
This is a toughie. Children hate anything that hinders their time or imagination and often instructions can seem too overwhelming and limiting. You may need to help your child with instructions if they are resistant to learning how to follow instructions. It’s a skill they will need for the rest of their life, especially as a working adult.
If you have the means to shut off the internet and electronics you may have more success getting your child to try a tactile learning set. Otherwise, lean toward family game nights and try board games. Children still have to read instructions and follow rules but in a more relaxed family setting.
Finally, you can offer incentives to encourage your child to follow instructions. A reward-based activity encourages them to give their best shot at completing the project properly with more effort. Try offering a small snack or even time on their video games for finishing a science activity.
We live in the city. Will my child still be able to use a telescope?
Light-polluted cities can hinder the use of a telescope somewhat. However, if you are using the telescope to look up at the sky, you will have more success than looking in the local area. Even in the city, you should be able to look at the moon, some of the planets and closer stars.
Even with an amateur telescope some of the skies will remain visible in bright cities. Help out by going up higher if possible like to the roof or your building. Do not let children go up to the roof alone. If you have friends or family who live outside the city, your child could take the telescope with them for the trip. It makes a great activity for friends farther away!
What are some other ways to help my child learn a new language?
One of the best options for learning a language is your tv or your computer. You can change your child’s computer to Spanish so they have a full immersion. Mind you, the websites they go to will still be in English unless they go to another countries website. Also, if you have Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime your child can watch shows in a few other languages or at least with subtitles in another language.
Some anime comes in Japanese which works well for children wishing to learn the native language of their favorite art. If you have a Kindle or the app on another device you can download picture books in other languages. Finally, music in another language can start to build up repetitious words in the vocabulary.
Wrapping Up Best Educational Toys for 10-Year-Olds
If you can only pick one toy from this list of best educational toys for 10-year-olds pick the Rosetta Stone. While not a toy per se, the lessons are set up like fun little games and offer your child new brain growth they wouldn’t have without learning another language. Learning another language now can improve their memory and brain functions by growing new brain paths! A great way to give your child the gift of learning and communication.