The Top Educational Toys for a 2 Year Old Reviewed
Two-year-olds have transformed since their first birthday. They can walk, talk, kick a ball and even use a crayon almost correctly. The learning doesn’t stop though which works well as 24-month-olds can turn any place they are into a playground and usually a circus. Find the best toys to inspire their imagination and teach a few important skills.
Best Educational Toys for 2 Year Olds
While a train may not seem like a learning toy, for a two-year-old it’s more than just fun and games. Children do not understand how trains work nor do they know how to put tracks together in a cohesive manner. LEGO Duplo Train Set is on your side and ready to make learning fun.
The set includes 59 pieces including train parts, a station, tracks, and more. All the piece snap together so your child can build everything close to from scratch. The pieces include lights, sounds, and movement. As Duplo was created for young architects, this set works perfectly for this age level.
Also, your child can learn a host of skills including language development, fine motor skills, cognitive development, and so much more. A great activity for multiple children to encourage improving social skills as well. Definitely take the time to teach your child to clean up too for added skills.
Finally, the set works other Duplo sets if you want to expand. These durable building blocks easily last for more than one child. Requires 4 AAA batteries to make the train move with “steam.” Works with an app too for added fun.
The trains are physically small and not appropriate for children younger than 24 months. If your child puts things in their mouth still, make sure to watch them the entire time they play with the train set.
- Build a Push & Go steam train track toy with 16 track pieces and action bricks, and use the app functionality for fun activities and remote-control via your own device!
- This electric remote control train building set includes 59 LEGO DUPLO pieces, Easy to build, Encourages learning through fun play and spatial thinking, The best selling baby learning toy built to be their first and favorite train set
- Activate lights, sounds and movement with this easy-to-build train set for toddlers. Includes an animal figure, locomotive driver, and child DUPLO figures to inspire fun and creativity for kids
- The LEGO DUPLO Steam Train encourages development in language, fine motor skills, and cognitive ability in boys and girls, The perfect bithday gift for toddlers age 2-5
- This construction set's steam train with passenger wagon measures over 3 inches (10cm) high, 11 inches (30cm) long and 2 inches (7cm) wide, Train station measures over 5 inches (15cm) high, 4 inches (12cm) wide and 2 inches (6cm) deep
The AVstart Drawing Water Mat is the perfect way to let your kid draw and practice beginning writing and drawing skills. The entire perimeter of the mat shows animal-shaped letters to help kids learn letter, animals, and more. On the mat as well are traceable letters in both uppercase and lowercase to help kids practice.
The mat measures 40×32 inches giving at least two kids plenty of space to draw using just water. Fold the mat up like a blanket and store it in a cabinet or closet for easy storage. Even better though, the mat goes on the floor and you don’t have to worry about a magic eraser to clean up paint, crayons, markers, highlighters or any other drawing tools. Water dries and cleans itself up!
Next, your child or children can use the mat repeatedly and draw something completely different every time. You buy the man and you don’t need any other supplies beyond water from the sink. The set includes 4 doodle pens, a rolling stamp, round stamps, stencil, a drawing book, and the mat.
If the mat takes too long to dry, then grab your hairdryer to speed up the process. Once dry in about 3-10 minutes, your kids can draw something new. Even hang the matt on the all to keep them entertained for hours. A great learning tool to practice hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, team-work, and more.
Because the “ink” is water, you cannot keep and display your child’s artwork. The tools included beyond the mat, are rather cheap and may not last as long as the mat. You can always purchase extra water markers.
- 👨👩👧👦.No More Space Restriction for Creativity? Ever feels interupted when creating art work when drawing in small mat, This large active surface acreas with 40 x 32 inch allows more kids to focus on their creativity rather than the boundries. The drawing water mat can be folded to compact size, portable for outdoor or indoor.
- 👨👩👧👦.Safe & Environmental protection: This drawing mat is made of soft polyester material, non-toxic and eco-friendly. No ink, no chemical, mess free. The back of the mat is water-resistant nylon material, no worry about wetting the desk or floor. What just you need to do is injec the water to the pen.
- 👨👩👧👦.EASY and Reusable USE: Just fill the doodle pens with water and draw on the drawing mat. The marks will magically disappear after 3-10 minutes (depending on the temperature and air flow). 4 magic water pens provide you different colors and lines, 8 drawing painting models offer existing shapes. You can arrange in pairs freely.
- 👨👩👧👦.A good communicative tools between parents and children: When you are lying on the lawn reading a book, the children are drawing around you, and even you can doodle on it together. Inspire your kid's creativity and imagination, exercise hand-eye coordination and the color perception ability. The best choice for kid's gift.
- 👨👩👧👦. AFTER-SALES SERVICE: You buy this doodle mat from the professional drawing mat factory directly, it is the best choice on the price & quality. AVstart strongly stands behind each item it designs and sells. Each product is backed with a three-month Guarantee. Any problem can contact us by e-mail.
What could be better than a stuffed buddy who reads to you and teaches you multiple skills? How about a break from reading the same book over and over to your child. Story-time Buddy by LeapFrog won’t get tired even if your toddler wants to listen to the story six times in a row.
Pick from a brown buddy or a pink buddy, whichever your child will prefer. The dog includes a color with numbers and each paw has buttons. Also, the set includes 5 books each with a different learning theme. Each book has a number that corresponds to the number buttons on the collar.
The collar tag lights up to further and the stuffy talks to your child along with reading books that introduce concepts such as emotion, shapes, colors, opposites, and numbers. The color can act as a nightlight for your child without lighting up the whole room. Even better, after a story, the doggy will play lullabies before auto-off kicks in to help your little one fall asleep.
Lastly, the stuffy can go with you where ever you travel to keep your child entertained. Besides the learning from the books your child can follow along and learn valuable reading skills and social interaction. The toy requires 2 AA batteries which are included.
Not really a problem, but LeapFrog could offer book expansion packs for Story-time Buddy but does not take the opportunity. The toy is not bilingual either. Be careful to take care of the toy as any spilled liquid can cause glitches.
- Choose a book and press the corresponding number on buddy’s collar to explore five stories about buddy and his friends Bella, Cooper, Mona and Pepper
- Each story introduces different curriculum including emotions, shapes, numbers, colors and opposites
- Press buddy’s ABC button to explore letters in the stories or press his book button to hear him ask reading comprehension questions
- Buddy’s moon and stars button plays soft bedtime stories or Brahms' lullaby and causes his light-up collar tag to become a color-changing nightlight
- Designed by LeapFrog experts for children 2-5 years old. 2 AA batteries required (included for product demonstration only; replace for home use) product Dimensions: 9 x 13.5 x 8 inches
You may not want to let your toddler play with your computer but they definitely want to play on a laptop. LeapFrog My Own Leaptop solves the problem by offering a toddler-friendly toy laptop. The price is much more wallet-friendly if damaged!
The laptop is simple as the keyboard only offers the alphabet. A great way for toddlers to learn to spell their name as you can customize the laptop to spell your child’s name. Beyond these skills, your child can send pretend emails, learn animal names, and sing along with 16 songs and tunes.
The large screen displays single color animations of animals to coordinate with whatever letter they click. Parents will love the adjustable volume controls. You child can try out a few games as well. Great for learning about technology, letters, animals, fine motor skills, and more.
Finally, the laptop folds for easy storage and even has a built-in handle for easy travel. Comes in green or pink. Require 3 AA batteries. For Ages 2 – 4 years.
An older model of the toy connected online but this newer model is easier for children to use but does not connect to the internet. The display works best in low-light situations. Not the best toy for using outside in the bright sunlight.
- Learn the alphabet, spell your name and more!
- Customize My Own Leaptop to spell your child's name.
- Send and receive pretend emails, learn letters and animal names, and sing along with 16 songs and melodies.
- Packaging, color and functionality may vary. Ages 3+ years.
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging.
The Fisher-Price Song and Story Learning Chair takes a different approach to teaching little kids, by going with their strong suits. As little kids move around a lot, this chair magically rewards your little one for sitting and standing. Not to mention, the festive toy also gives your child several activities and a great place to sit.
Attached to the little chair is a little table with additional activities. Your child can tap the lamp to turn on lights and even hear music. They can also read the little book attached to the table. Finally, they can press the crayons to hear color-themed songs.
The chair teaches music, imagination, letters, numbers, colors, opposites, stories, along with cause and effect. A great way to help kids move around and improve gross motor skills too as the toy sings when they sit and stand. Two kids could even play musical chairs to teach teamwork and other social skills.
The chair comes in bold colors expanding on the primary colors for older children while still maintaining adorable appeal. For ages 12 months to 3 years. Comes with 3 AA batteries. Assembly required.
For a while, the price was significantly higher than necessary. This has been fixed. The chair is made of plastic and great for sitting on. It is not, however, great for standing on or jumping.
- "Magical" seat rewards little ones for sitting and standing
- Tap the light-up lamp to turn the lights on and off and to hear fun music!
- Press each of the crayons to hear a colorful song
- 3 modes of play: Learning, Music, and Imagination
- Teaches the alphabet, numbers, colors, opposites, stories, and more!
The Top Bright Activity Cube looks just like one you would find at a doctor’s office. Since most toddlers head straight over to these activities cubes and spend the whole time waiting with this toy, why not get one for your living room? Let your child enjoy 7 activities in one table.
With seven different sides all with unique activities, your child can entertain himself for hours on end. This might actually give you enough time to cook dinner and wash the dishes. Teach your child with a bead maze, counting beads, clock, shape sorter, animal flipping boards, a maze, and paintings of critters on top.
A great toy for hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and problem-solving. With all the colorful things to touch, you can keep multiple children entertained with one toy. The top can come off to let your child use the shape sorter and you can even flip the lid over to cut down on the height for easy storage.
Also, the toy comes fully assembled and ready to play. No dangers small parts for your child to choke on all while they learn important skills. Made of wood and metal for sturdiness. A toy without batteries, noise, or music and it will last through multiple generations.
Works best for two and up as the cube cannot support new walkers or children learning to walk. The cube is smaller than you would find at a doctor’s office. Works better for smaller homes and apartments. The price is a little high but this cube stores easier than other cubes because the top comes off.
- CLASSIC TODDLER PLAY: Each toddler should have this 7-in-1 educational wooden activity cube toy. 7 sides of fun, bright and cheerful solid wooden activity cube, multi-functional design, no assembly required, no dangerous small parts. Play a variety of ways to better exercise the baby's various abilities. Our baby activity cube accompany the childhood of 1 year old boys and girls. It's moms' priority choice as one year old boy and girl gifts.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL TREASURE CHEST: Our baby activity cube has a rich cover on the top cover and is designed with a beading effect. Each side has different activities, including wooden bead maze, color counting beads, rainbow gear, recognition clock, shape sorter, digital animal flip board and fun maze. It's a perfect educational toy for 1 year old that encourages babies to recognize shapes, colors and develop fine movements, hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills.
- MATERIAL AND PROCESS: The wooden activity cube made of high quality wood is sturdy and durable. Smooth edge, round chamfer and non-toxic water-based paint make the activity cube safe for your toddler, which has passed the American ASTM and CPC tests and are 100% in compliance with toy safety standards. Let your baby play at will, as we know you only want the best toy for your child. It's the best toys for 1 year old girl and boy.
- MORE THAN FUN FOR KIDS: Exploration and fun is around each corner of this activity cube toy for 1-year-olds. Our baby toys are vibrant with cute cartoon animal faces that attracts babys’ attention quickly and adds more fun for them during playing time. The lovely and stylish activity center for toddlers offers them hours of fun and learning time.
- PERFECT GIFT FOR PRESCHOOL EDUCATION: If you are finding a gift for your toddlers, this baby activity cube toy is a good choice. This 1 year old gift has educational meanings, makes your child happy and brings you joy and laughter, which allows your baby to try out all the fun activities. During the process, the development toy inspires their creativity, develop their thinking and coordination skills and enrich their cognitive ability. A ideal baby gift for your babies or friends’ toddlers.
At two, your child is ready to better understand their own body. These Wooden Peg Puzzles by Gleeporte will help your child learn about their internal and external body parts with these two puzzles. The set includes two puzzles each with body parts to take off and then put back in the right place.
The first puzzle focuses on external body parts including the noses, ears, mouth, thumb, toes, tongue, and a few more. The second puzzle focuses on internal parts like the brain, ears, heart, liver, kidney, intestines, and more. Lines show where each body part goes inside of the human body.
Each puzzle has an easy to grip peg for easy grasping. They are both made of solid wood too. This set like most puzzles teaches a lot of important skills such as hand-eye coordination, concentration, spatial reasoning, a clear understanding of the human body, and more.
The puzzles only show boys and do not have a girl option, nor is their an option for girls. However, the parts are all gender-neutral no boy parts show up. As the puzzles are made of wood, make sure children do not throw or stand on the puzzle as wood can break when treated roughly.
- 👥SET OF 2 ! You will receive a set of 2 MY BODY theme puzzles - INSIDE & OUTSIDE PARTS, each with exciting picture peg pieces related to the given body parts.
- 👥HAND-EYE COORDINATION DEVELOPMENT - Gleeporte’s peg puzzle promotes hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills as your toddler will concentrate to place the pieces in all its proper places, with the EASY TO GRASP PEGS on each piece.
- 👥EDUCATIONAL-Early learning development. With clear picture pieces and the name of each organ clearly written, Gleeporte’s My body theme 2 PACK puzzle will help your child learn, practice, and know the different inside & outside body parts.
- 👥HIGH QUALITY - 100% SAFE - NON TOXIC - We construct our Peg puzzle with 100% real sturdy wood, which complies with ALL standard safety requirements.
- 👥EXCITING AND VIBRANT COLORS - We chose exciting pictures with vibrant colors, to make it exciting for your toddler to keep wanting to play again, again. The matching pictures underneath each piece, will help your child have an easier time, figuring out where each one belongs.
Spinning gears offers your children a chance to understand how the world connects. With the Learning Resources Build and Spin, your child can enjoy spinning gears in four different themes. Pick from farm, flower, vehicles, or the cute theme of ocean animals.
Simple toys like this one teaches specific skills. This one teaches cause and effect, animals, spatial reasoning, and fine motor skills. Parents will love that the toy does not make any noise, nor does it make any sound. A great way to encourage cognitive reasoning and independence.
This unique toy comes with 17 pieces including a base. First, your child will place cogs on the board in any pattern they like. Second, they put the animal on top of the cogs so the creatures can dance as the child spins the gears with the spinner cog. Finally, a great toy to play with your child to teach colors and animals.
Because the toy is so dedicated in purpose, you find your child bores with it quickly. However, when children are learning a new skill, they tend to find toys like this one particularly fascinating and spend hours replacing the pieces and spinning their creation. With so many busy toys, a simple toy like this can be a breath of fresh air.
- Celebrate 25 years of Gears! in 2019 and set imaginations in colorful motion! Kids develop creativity, imagination and fine motor skills by building with this preschool toy. Chunky spinning gears snap easily into place and help kids develop fine motor skills. Get your gears moving!
- DEVELOP: Boost fine motor skills while promoting early reasoning as children create moving experiments; learning gets more intricate as children’s abilities advance with other Gears! sets
- DISCOVER: Invite “little engineers” to explore a world of building possibilities with hands-on learning and unplugged play
- The big, bright gears are designed to be easy for growing hands to hold, and the rounded plastic edges are soft and safe!
- Ages 2+
Forget Legos, Battat’s Bristle Blocks offer a lot of texture and even more imagination! Although, these blocks wouldn’t feel any better on your feet if you step on them. The jungle theme allows kids to explore building a jungle for monkeys or a safari tour bus.
Each set includes 128 pieces in a storage container. The container has a handle but even better, the top serves as a starting point for building new creations with the bristle blocks. While the blocks look hard, they are actually soft and rubbery with interlocking bristles.
Tons of bright colors and shape come in the box to inspire your child to create interesting vehicles and anything else they can imagine! The pieces are chunky enough for pudgy little two-year-old fingers. They can even take this toy in the bath for added fun.
Finally, this is a great sensory set to teach about spatial reasoning, engineering, animals, gross and fine motor skills, and concentration. A great way to keep kids focused on a single task and improve their budding attention spans while also encouraging creativity. This toy works great for multiple children to improve social skills too!
Not for children under two years old and as some of the pieces are small enough to fit into a toddlers mouth, make sure you watch your child when they play with this set or keep the smaller pieces away until your child stops putting stuff in their mouth.
- Official bat that Bristle blocks. Soft, rubbery, interlocking bristles on colorful toy blocks that connect together at any angle. Plenty of Blocks for your buck-et!
- 128 chunky pieces including trees, lianas, flowers and 3 friendly jungle creatures. Build a jungle adventure with 128 easy-to-connect blocks for toddlers.
- Sensory activity. Uplifting colors and different textures. Round edges and bristles, bumps, animals and flowers that tiny fingers will love to discover.
- Storage is included. Fit everything in the bucket when your little one is done building. Easy to store and carry.
- Easy to clean. Just use warm soapy water and let air dry. Comes with 1 construction base, 1 Palm tree, 1 Monkey, 1 Tiger and 1 Snake.
Music can expand a child’s brain and help to open new synapses in the brain, especially instrumental music. The Amy &. Benton Piano includes a 31 key electronic keyboard in the shape of a grandbaby piano. Get ready to cover your ears as the set includes a microphone too!
With tons of buttons and an adorable design, you can find out if your child is a budding musician. With the microphone, you can find out if their vocal cords make music or noise. Help to guide those little fingers on the mini keyboard and find out if they are the next Mozart.
The white color with yellow buttons appeals to both boys and girls. They will also love 22 demo songs, 3 guided modes, adjustable volume, multiple instrument buttons, karaoke, and a fun LED screen. Parents can connect the piano to an external MP3 player or mobile phone to use along with the microphone.
Lastly, the set requires 4 AA batteries to help your budding artist create music. Each key know includes a bright sticker over the key to help children learn music notes. A great way to teach music and inspire new brain growth along with fine motors skills and spatial reasoning.
The piano is made of plastic so do not allow toddlers to climb on top of the piano. Also, the piano doesn’t include a bench despite the short stature of the toy. Finally, the lights inside the piano seem geared toward girls and isn’t completely gender-neutral.
- 【Developmental】: Piano Toys enhance hearing ability, exercises hands-eyes coordination, boost brain memory development.
- 【Educational】:Keyboard Piano develops kids' musical talent at an early age, especially suit for babies and toddlers. The first step to become a music star.
- 【Multifunctional】: 31keys, 8 percussion instruments, 4 musical instruments, 4 accompaniment style, 4 rhythm lights, 3 guide modes, 22 demo songs, different volume and rhythms, “play & record”, Karaoke, LED, external MP3 and mobile phone, equipped with microphone.
- 【Lovely & Elegant】: This piano keyboard toy is a great gift for kids birthday; perfect for family time & party.
- 【Note】: Size: 13.75*11.5*12 in, weight:40 ounces; Powered by 4 AA batteries of 1.5V(not included)
Questions About The Best Educational Toys for 2-Year-Olds
Is a two-year-old capable of playing alone in their room?
Yes, but only for a few minutes at a time. When you do not hear your child making noise, be afraid. Check your child every five minutes or less, as they are very inventive at this age at causing trouble and their climbing skills improved massively.
Encourage independence but remember they are little and scare easily when alone. If you can’t stay in the room with them, then keep a video monitor in the room so you can watch from another room. Do not expect a slightly older sibling to watch a two-year-old alone.
Are two-year-old’s still learning the same skills as a one-year-old?
Yes, most of the skills are the same, gross and fine motor skills, social skills, numbers, alphabet, simple commands, and empathy. Your child is moving a lot and absorbing. They will soon be speaking in full sentences and playing with toys instead of just hitting toys and making a mess.
Do kids learn as much from quiet toys?
Yes, often quiet toys require more patience for a reward. Some toys are so busy and loud they create a need for children to have constant activity and noise to be properly entertained. With quiet toys, they can learn one skill with a focused mind and less background noise.
Trust me, babies learned all the same skills a hundred years ago before electricity. The best educational toys for 2-year-olds teach and stay quiet, or if they do make noise its a dedicated noise to a specific purpose like the alphabet.
Wrapping Up With The Best Educational Toys for 2-Year-Olds
The best educational toys for 2-year-olds continue along the same line as toys for 1-year-olds. Focus on toys that can keep their short attention spans and teach them valuable motors skills like gross and fine motor skills along with understanding the world around them better. Toys that do not make noise like the Battat’s Bristle Blocks help to encourage learning and creativity for a well-rounded toddler ready to explore his or her own abilities. Here is a video that demonstrates what they can build with these blocks:
- Best Educational Toys For 10 Year Old
- Best Educational Toys For 11 Year Old
- Best Educational Toys For 12 Year Old
Last Updated on