The Top Educational Toys for a 5 Year Old Reviewed
Help your child find the best educational toy to spark their imagination and expand their world of learning. The best educational toys for 5-year-olds improve the skills they have been learning and add new skills too. From coding to globes, increase your child’s world with a love of learning. Find all the best toys here.
Best Educational Toys for 5 Year Olds
The Sphero Sprk+ App-Enabled Robot can jumpstart your Childs programming education. As most five-year-olds, love iPads and computer-based devices and this toy allows them to combine electronics with imagination. A fabulous techie tool for kids to use for until high school!
Pair the little sphere with a tablet or phone and allow your kids to try plug and play coding. It may look like gibberish to us adults but kids will only take a couple of minutes to figure out the basics and jump into coding. Very hands-on activity and great for team-building skills as children can share creations with the community.
Once your child pairs the device and codes the device, the sphere will move as directed. Your child can set up thousands of ways to move the device up to 4.5 miles per hour. Compatible with Swift Playgrounds with iOS.
Includes programmable sensors with motor encoders, gyroscope, accelerometer, and LED lights. Don’t worry about your child breaking the toy too much. The device is scratch-resistant and waterproof. It charges inductively with 60-minute battery life. Connects via Bluetooth Smart.
Here is a video showing what the Sphero is all about:
Some customers had issues connecting to Bluetooth. Make sure your child does not program the sphere to roll of a table or other surface. While its break-resistant, the toy can break especially when abused by little hands. At five, you may want to monitor your child with the device until they prove themselves mature enough to play alone.
- MORE THAN JUST A ROBOT: Sphero SPRK+ is a programmable robot ball designed to inspire creativity and curiosity through coding and play. Easily learn programming, complete hands-on activities, and share your creations with the community.
- PROGRAMMABLE SENSORS & LED LIGHTS: SPRK+'s programmable sensors include a gyroscope, accelerometer, motor encoders, and colorful LED lights to create countless play experiences and coding conditions for all levels.
- BUILT TO LEARN & PLAY: With an hour of play, this educational robot is scratch-resistant, waterproof, charges inductively and connects via Bluetooth SMART so you can see your commands and creations come to life.
- INSPIRING THE CREATORS OF TOMORROW: Founded in 2010, we set out to redefine creative play experiences with the original Sphero app-enabled robot ball. Now, with our undeniably cool fleet of programmable robots and educational tools, we're inspiring a new generation through hands-on applied learning of coding, science, music and the arts.
Some kids are so stoked to try school the idea of being the teacher seems like the best role-playing gig in the world! Thankfully, Melissa & Doug make a Classroom Play Set for children desperate to be in a classroom beyond kindergarten. Let your child teach their dolls and learn in the process.
The classroom includes over 150 accessories including reusable stickers, blocks, a bell, lesson plan guide, timer, reusable double-sided boards, dry erase markers with so much more. Everything stores in a handy box. Help your child become the best teacher in the house!
Great for siblings or friends. Helps children to work on people skills and formulating plans. In the process of teaching friends, siblings, or dolls, your child reinforces what they are teaching for themselves. A fabulous way to help a take-charge child find their comfort zone.
You may want to help guide your child to set up a lesson plan. My youngest daughter had a school set, and I caught her teacher her stuffed animals how to count and she skipped a few numbers. Parents acting as students provide a world of teaching moments for you the student! Use this set as a method to correct any errors gently.
A few supplies may be missing. Make sure you check the box before giving to your child. Finally, the set may entice kids but isn’t the highest quality despite the Melissa & Doug name.
- REALISTIC CLASSROOM PLAY SET: The Melissa & Doug School Time! Classroom Play Set includes everything kids need to enjoy hours of classroom playtime. The set features drop-down teacher and student desks.
- 150+ ACCESSORIES: This classroom playset includes 150 reusable stickers, 12 colorful blocks, and a bell, timer, lesson plan guide, and storybook, along with 2 reusable double-sided boards and 2 dry-erase markers, allowing for endless play.
- HANDY STORAGE BOX: For ease of use and convenience, our pretend play school set can be easily stored in the included box. This school set also encourages creative expression and imaginative play.
- GIFT FOR KIDS 4 TO 8: This set makes a great gift for kids ages 4 to 8 years. Add the Melissa & Doug See & Spell Learning Toy to round out the educational play experience and give kids another engaging option for screen-free fun.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News called “the gold standard in early childhood play. ”
Help your child discover the intricate details of the human body with the i-Poster My Body Set. This award-winning toy teaches your kids with fun interactions teaching about the body. Allows for use with younger siblings or with friends. Great for at-home preschools for a group activity.
The set includes a clipboard base and four slides. First learn about external organs like hands, eyes, and feet. Second, move on to internal organs like lungs and kidneys. Third, move on to muscles like the deltoids and triceps. Finally, learn about bones like the fibula and the sternum.
The colorful mats offer a little cartoon boy with lines and names of body parts. Each part has a button your kid can click on to learn more about that part and pronunciation. The mats are marked in the first person so kids can relate what they see to themselves.
Finally, kids can test their skills with quiz mode. They can try out learn mode and repeat to re-hear anything they want. Adjust the volume. Keep 3 AAA batteries as a backup for when the included batteries die.
A small percentage of customers received faulty units that didn’t work. Only shows a little boy with no option to show a little girl.
- MULTI AWARDS WINNING FUN LEARNING TOY - Mom's Choice Gold Metal, Family Choice & Tillywig Brain Child Award Winner 2018! Creative Child Preferred Choice Award Winner 2019! The most valuable smart interactive touch activated talking poster to discover the wonders of our amazing human body.
- LEARNING has never been so much easy and fun with this human body iposter for kids. Hang on a wall, play on the floor or use as a colorful play mat. The ideal learning toy gift for boys and girls.
- DISCOVER how our body parts, organs, muscles, and bones function; filled with interesting facts. Test your knowledge with loads of questions in 2 levels of super fun quiz game mode.
- SKILLS learned include anatomy, memory, logical thinking, concentration, dexterity, and problem solving.
- 100% ENGAGING, 100% FUN, 100% RISK - FREE! Requires 3 AAA batteries that are included; Intended for Preschoolers and early learners of ages 5 and up.
The ERLY Pop Beads allows kids to get creative with beads. Even better, no string or tiny seed beads to lose in the carpet. Find an extensive set of beads in practically every shape, size, and color to entice your child’s creativity.
Children pop the beads together in one quick snap. The set includes bases for rings, bracelets, necklaces, and headbands. Fun for group activities for hours of jewelry making fun. All the beads come without sharp points for children to hurt themselves while creating masterpieces.
Store the beads and accessories in the included case with a carrying handle. Kids can make jewelry and then take it apart and start again from scratch. They can pick from flower beads, colored beads, and everywhere in between.
Last of all, your children can learn a host of skills from the beads. From concentration to patterns, colors, dexterity, hand-eye coordination all the way to math as they work on counting out beads. One of the best group activities for young children. Yes, the set comes with lots of pieces but keep the kids at the table and cleanup is a breeze.
The colors target girls more than boys. However, boys love to make gifts for the women in their life like mom, grandma, or their sister.
- 【BUILDING TOY FOR GIRLS AGE 4-7】Make-and-wear jewelry is fast, easy and fun. It’s easy to snap beads together or pop apart for little hands. Kids can not only design hairbands, necklaces and bracelets, but also create arts projects, make room decorations with these funny beads that don’t required string.
- 【PLAY JEWELRY FOR THREE YEAR OLD AND UP TODDLERS】Safe & Durable. All pieces are made of premium quality plastic which is no smell and BPA free. All beads are smooth without burrs. Designed with the professional technology, connectors are firm that won’t bend easily like other cheaply made beads. Best present for toddler girls birthday and Christmas
- 【ART SUPPLIES FOR LITTLE PRINCESSES】530 pieces colorful snap beads (includes 3 headbands and 10 bracelets) has everything you need to make the most fantastic works of jewelry art! Crafty, unique and fabulous! Great gift idea for Kids 3yr and Up
- 【FINE MOTOR SKILL TOY FOR PRESCHOOLERS】A good toy is helpful for a child to get fun and grow in wisdom. This beads set is great for developing kids fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination and creativity
- 【PORTABLE JEWELRY BOX】All beads are stored in an attractive purple box which is made for quick clean-up and convenient storage.
Bring the world to your playroom with the SJSMARTGLOBE. Unlike other maps and globes, this one looks like a grownup globe ready to set up in the study. Mind you, this globe does not store a cocktail set, but it offers a few surprises.
The three in one globe works three ways. First, use as a traditional globe. Your children can find countries on a topographical representation of the earth. A full swing meridian ruler surrounds the globe to help children understand space, and it rotates. The detailed globe depicts mountains, oceans, lakes and more.
Second, the map changes to constellation at nights. An LED representation of the sky shows 88 constellations, zodiac signs, and the milky way. A useful tool for teaching children about outer space and mythology around the stars. Not to mention, a fun nightlight.
Third, the whole globe interacts with an app to bring the globe to life. Let your child learn fun and interesting facts about the world and the space they live in. The app uses games, quizzes, and pictures to learn over a thousand interesting facts about the world.
Finally, the grown-up look of the map means you can keep the globe for as long as you like. Children will not outgrow the map and they can use it for the rest of their life even if they don’t want to use the app games or the constellation aspects. You can even display the globe in your living room for decor and learning on a whim.
The app may need a few improvements. Thankfully apps often receive updates. Also, the power cord can impede spinning the globe but at least it doesn’t require batteries.
- MULTI AWARDS WINNING FUN LEARNING TOY - Family Choice, Mom's Choice Gold Metal & Tillywig Brain Child Award Winner 2018, and Creative Child Kids Product of the Year Winner 2019! The most popular interactive smart educational talking world map poster.
- QUALITY improvement by adding a fabric frame all around; Hang on a wall; Play on the floor or use as a colorful play mat.
- EXPLORE and LEARN capital cities and countries with their flags, population, languages spoken in each country, important landmarks, fun facts with volume control; Over 1000 facts and questions about the globe we live in.
- BUILD SKILLS including concentration, earth science, memory, problem solving, geography and environment.
- Requires 3 AAA batteries that are included; Intended for Kids, Preschoolers and early learners of ages 5 and up.
Lego Junior Sets come in small but easy-to-use pieces for little hands to manipulate. This set includes a Spiderman theme which most kids love. Spidey is a timeless theme but one both boys and girls love right now with all the Marvel characters screen time.
Within the box find 125 pieces. Use the parts to build 2 vehicles including one with spidey legs and a large rear spoiler. The scorpion car has removable pinchers and a tail. It can also launch up a ramp and onto walls for added fun. Includes two character figures, as well as, a catapult and a mini building.
Building sets inspire imagination and create a dual-purpose toy. First, your child has to build the set then they can play. This is a great away to teach cause and effect along with the benefits of effort. Your child can also learn basic engineering, math skills, following instructions, creative thinking, along with many other skills.
Finally, the set works well for children 4-7. As you probably know, Lego offers thousands of sets for both boys and girls to expand the world of building. Think of Lego’s as Minecraft without the iPad! Use for group-play for added learning benefits and fun.
Check to make sure your set comes with the correct amount of pieces or your children will get frustrated when they cannot build the cars. Also, make sure the kids pick up all the pieces as stepping on Legos hurt!
- Also includes 2 vehicles - a spidey-car with extra legs, large rear spoiler and a connector on the front and back to attach the web 'string' And a scorpion-car with movable pincers and tail.
- Climb up the side of the alley wall to look for scorpion's car.
- Hop in the spidey-car and launch yourself up the ramp out of the alley to race after Scorpion.
Just because your child is ready to use a smartphone doesn’t mean you are ready to give them one! Instead, give them the much more affordable KidiBuzz G2 by VTech. Pick from pink or black depending on your kid’s preferences. Looks like a real phone too but with a smaller screen and slightly brighter colors.
Kids can send actual images, texts, leave voice messages! Don’t worry, everything operates through parent-approved contacts using the free KidiConnect app. Also, kids can drop the phone as its screen is shatter-safe.
Next, kids will take tons of selfies using the photo. They can share pictures taken with Wonder Masks face filters that move with your kid’s movements. Beyond these functions, children can play over 40 plus learning games focused on math, spelling, science, reading, and much more. They can play music and videos too.
Now for the basics. The phone includes a 180-degree rotating camera to take full movement selfies. Includes 8 GB of memory for the microSD card slot. Also has an USB cable, AC adapter, and a headphone jack. It can hold up to 40 GB for storage.
Finally, the phone does not function as a cell phone. This means it does not require a cellphone plan. You can breathe easy as you do not need to add another line to your wireless plan. Includes a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
The only issue you may run across is your kids lose this fake phone as often as they lose their left sock, lunchbox, and right their shoe.
- Kids can send images texts and voice messages to parent-approved contacts with the free KidiConnect app
- The sleek kid-tough smart device looks just like an adult device and comes with a shatter-safe screen
- Take photos with Wonder Masks' face filters that follow kids' movements and share with approved contacts
- Play the AR game Creature Detective plus 40+ learning games on math spelling science and more Download even more from third-party app store
- Intended for ages 4+ years This device is not a cell phone Rechargeable lithium-ion battery included Only charge the device using the included micro USB cable with the included power adapter or a computer (not included)
For a similar price buy your child a Kids Edition Kindle Fire wrapped in a special kids case. This is also not a phone nor is it the price of name brand tablet but does more functions than the VTech phone above. Kindle Fire’s are fantastic starter devices to help your child practice appropriate electronic care without hurting your wallet.
Pick from three festive colors – blue, pink, or purple. If you want to save a little cash and have twins pick the two-pack and save some moolah. The protective case completely encases everything but the screen. It leaves space to plug in the charger, speakers, and buttons. It also includes a fold out stand.
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you already know all the fabulous deals on Amazon. Others may not know about Amazon FreeTime where for a small monthly fee your children have access to over 20,000 books, games, apps, videos, and audiobooks. It also accesses educational content from several places like PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, and Disney.
Next, control your child’s screen time with time limits, set educational goals, and filter content with built-in parental controls. Stream over Wi-Fi or download content for traveling. Includes 16 GB of internal storage and up to 7 hours of use. Add a microSD for up to 512 GB of additional storage space.
Finally, access to books on the device is by far the best use for the Kindle. Reading is a newly acquired skill for most five-year-olds and you can store an entire bookshelf of books on the kindle. You can even use the Kindle in Spanish for added learning ability. If it breaks, return it for the first two years from purchase!
As with all technology, some parents found frustrating issues such as apps not working and issues finding content on the device. The main concern is charging port problems. Make sure you are the one to charge the device as children are rough with objects, especially electronics. Any issues though, return it and get a new one!
- Save up to $89 on a full-featured Fire 7 Tablet (not a toy), 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, a Kid-Proof Case with built-in stand, and 2-year worry-free guarantee, versus items purchased separately.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- The included 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, audiobooks, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Create screen time limits, set educational goals, and filter content with easy-to-use parental controls.
- Stream through Wi-Fi or view downloaded content on the go with 16 GB of internal storage and up to 7 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching video, and listening to music. Add a microSD card for up to 512 GB of expandable storage.
Give your son or daughter the gift of music with their first guitar. The Hape Kid’s First Musical Guitar offers a perfect device to try out sound for those with the dexterity to work with strings. Even better, save money with a smaller kid guitar to find out if your child has an interest or knack for the guitar before investing in a pricier professional guitar.
The solid wood guitar comes in light wood with blue sides to work for both boys or girls. Tune the six strings for better sound. As the guitar is child-sized it’s only 26 inches tall instead of 40 inches like a full-size guitar.
You can get this for a three-year-old but at five, kids will have better use of their fingers and are more likely to use gentle pressure on the instrument. A great way to learn music, read music, patience, focus, improve memory and hand-eye coordination. Music is calming for the soul. Teach your child to learn to find their own calm with an acoustic guitar.
The only problem with this guitar is the sound your child will make with the instrument. I’m sorry in advance. Unless you pay for lessons or your child is a savant, the sound will not be pleasant.
- Get strumming on this blazin' Blue guitar!
- The Blue Lagoon guitar from hape is the perfect guitar for young beginners.
- Put those fingers to the test with this cross classic 6-stringed guitar and Ukulele
- This guitar stands 26 inches tall.
- Recommended for ages 3 years and up.
This last toy may need a little parental help but I promise it’s worth the effort. With the Space Kids Solar System Outer Space 3D Puzzle by Chanys, your child can forget the world as he builds the universe! Puzzles offer hours of fun and concentration and an entire world of learning.
The set includes all 146 pieces your child needs to assemble the planets and the stars. Each spot comes with a label of where to accurately placed the planets. The finished product is beyond our planet!
Help to foster a love of brain teasers with this problem-solving jigsaw puzzle. As with all toys, your child can learn multiple skills like hand-eye coordination, imagination, patience, and brain development. A wonderful gift for inquisitive minds and those who love science or space.
Enjoy the magnificent attention to detail as you watch a 3D representation of our universe come to life. A great family project for parents and kiddos, siblings, or friends. The puzzle is made of hard cardboard and can come apart to assemble again later. A good idea for children with a science fair project too.
No issues at all unless your child loses the pieces or eats and drinks around the puzzle. They may need help, so stay close by. Do not let them put the puzzle together in their room as that’s the quickest way to ruin the puzzle.
- Are you looking for a fun and easy way to teach your kids about the wonders of the universe? Our 3D solar system space puzzle is the perfect space toy to learn and have a good time ! Incredibly fun and equally educational, this cool project will teach your kids about our solar system and planets !
- Once assembled, this solar system puzzle will make a beautiful diorama of outer space , with incredibly vivid colors and details. The puzzle includes all of the planets in the solar system, and has 146 pieces.
- The 3D puzzle isn’t just great for boys and girls over the age of 5, but also makes for a memorable gift for any adult that is passionate about astronomy, or likes brain teasers, Space toys and puzzles!
- Committed to the highest level of quality, we only use the best quality materials to make our 3D puzzles STEM Toys , and we use an innovative technology to precisely cut all of the pieces to make sure they are simple to combine. We’re convinced you’ll love your new jigsaw puzzle, however, if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase we’ll give you a full refund.
Questions About The Best Educational Toys for 5-Year-Olds
Are 5-year-olds concerned with “cool” yet?
Some 5-year-olds mature early in the ‘cool’ department. Others are still in that wonderful superhero invincible stage where the only opinion that matters is their own. The best way to know is by how your child dresses.
Is she is okay wearing a tiara, snow boots, and shorts? Then your daughter has not reached the ‘everything needs to be cool’ stage. Does your son wear a cape with his dad’s boots? Yeah, he doesn’t care what others think yet either. Encourage this wonderful sense of self and desire to please their style over what others decide is appropriate but make sure they know the proper time and place too!
Can my 5-year-old play with electronics without breaking them?
The verdict is out this one. Each kid is different. My son is 14 and still breaks every electronic he touches. My 8-year-old and 12-year-old have only broken my dishes but never a phone or iPad even when they were little. How well you teach them to care of the electronics is the major key to how they care for them. They only know what they are taught! This works for most kids but not all.
Start by teaching them to only use full charged devices and not touching the device while it’s charging as this ruins the charger and can make the charger keep coming out. Also, makes sure all devices are stored in one spot so they can always find them. Finally, never let the walk while playing. Find what works with your family but remain consistent.
Should I let my 5-year-old pick out his own educational toys?
Yes and No. Limit their choices to age-appropriate options. If you let them loose in a toy store, they will not pick a learning toy. Instead, give them the option between a globe or a puzzle. This lets them pick what interests them without giving them the choice to pick a video game.
Wrapping Up With The Best Educational Toys for 5-Year-Olds
Your son or daughter’s brain is growing in leaps and bounds. Your job is to find toys they find engaging and increase their knowledge. This list hopefully made the job easier for you. If you can only pick one of the best educational toys for 5-year-olds pick the SJSMARTGLOBE with Interactive APP & LED Illuminated Constell-ations as it brings the entire world to their fingertips and gives them a better sense of the space they live in.