The Top Educational Toys for a 7 Year Old Reviewed
At seven-years-old, your child is working on language and thinking development along with social and emotional development. The best educational toys for seven-year-olds will enhance the skills and help children to be innovative. Toys should provide a challenge but not be too challenging as children are dealing with fragile self-esteem and stress from school. Find the best choice below to help your children grow.
Best Educational Toys for 7 Year Olds
Turn your child into a Space Explorer with this new stand box by Jack-in-the-Box. Your child can make six different activities geared towards teaching STEM and made just for their age. All the activities can be decorations for your child’s room.
First, your child can make a kaleidoscope. Second, your job to make a solar system mobile. Third, your child can make the constellations into streamers for the bedroom. Fourth, your child can turn cookies into moons. Finally, the set includes a rocket and a board game.
Each project comes with it on its own set of instructions and with the necessary pieces. Although, you need to purchase cookies separately. This toy craft cat teaches imagination, learning practical skills, build confidence, teaches listening, and improves rational thought.
Your child would love to do-it-yourself projects. Meanwhile, you will love the child safe and mess-free crafts that teach your child important skills offer one low price. If you like this set, you have more options available as great gift ideas for children in the future.
Your child may need help following some of the instructions. Also, despite the kits saying it’s a mess-free, cookies are often messy, so make sure you do this at the table and not in the living room.
- THE BEST STEM BOX - Includes 6 activities (WATCH VIDEO TO UNDERSTAND BETTER) – 1. Starry Kaleidoscope: Ever wondered what a clear starry night looks like? Make your own kaleidoscope and see for yourself. 2. Solar System Mobile: Make a colorful mobile for your room while you learn about the planets in our solar system. 3. Lace The Constellation: Pull along your string to join the dots and make a constellation streamer for your window
- 4. Rocket Science Experiment: What does it feel like to be a space scientist? Make your own rocket, fuel it, and watch it take off! 5. Space Explorer Board Game Invite your friends to an adventurous and thrilling journey through the Milky Way! 6. Phases Of The Moon: Use Oreo cookies to lick off the cream and understand the different phases that the moon goes through during the month. (Ingredients Not Included)
- A PERFECT GIFT – With different crafts in one box and so many hours of creative fun, this makes for a great gift
- IDEAL EDUCATIONAL TOY – This craft kit encourages children to use their imagination, learn practical skills and build confidence
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We Offer a 30 day No Questions Asked 100% Money Back Guarantee on our Products
The Osmo Genius Starter Kit works with an app on the iPad to teach your children STEM skills under the guise of playing games. The game is made for children ages 6 to 10 for beginner levels up to expert so it can grow with your child. You can even track your child’s game progress with profiles on a parent app.
The set teachers multiple skills including shape placement, creative drawing skills, counting with numbers, letters, and spelling including vocabulary. Osmo’s genius set includes everything needed including storage, number tiles, word tiles, and five games. However, it does not include the iPad.
If you do not have an iPad, you can buy the version that works with the Kindle Fire. This set is a great way to increase reading and vocabulary skills, math confidence, problem-solving, and creativity. The set is so popular it’s used in over 30,000 classrooms across the globe.
The only minor issue is the slightly high price but the set is so well received the price is barely an issue at all.
- Osmo is magic: fun-filled & Award winning learning games that interact with actual hand held pieces & an iPad, bringing a child's game pieces & actions to life (no Wi-Fi necessary for game play).
- Age & capability: ages 6-10+. games are designed for beginner to expert levels. Osmo enables the continuation of learning.
- Teaching: shapes & placing in designs (Tangram), problem solving/early physics (Newton), creative drawing skills (masterpiece), counting with numbers/dice (numbers), letters, spelling & vocabulary (words).
- What's in the box: Osmo base for iPad, Tangram pieces, numbers tiles, words tiles, stackable storage for each game & 5 game apps: numbers, Tangram, words, Newton, and masterpiece.
- Osmo promise: designed with fun & learning in mind, in Palo Alto, California. 90 day warranty. An iPad & Osmo base (iPad is not included) are required to play. Compatible with iPad (2nd-7th generation), iPad Mini 2-5, iPad Air 2-3, iPad Pro 9.7 & 10.5 inch (minimum iOS version iOS 9). fire tablet is not compatible with this base.
Forget slides with the Learning Resources Handheld Digital Microscope. This microscope allows your child to explore and hindered by small spaces and glass slides. They connect the microscope to the computer and bring the item to them for a more in-depth look.
First, you want to pick a color your options are purple, green, or blue. The easy to use all in one digital microscope brings technology to your children and sparks a strong curiosity for scientific observation and investigation. It can magnify items up to 54 times and then immediately be viewed on the computer, projector, or an interactive whiteboard.
Even cooler, your child can take videos or pictures to use later. Not only is this a learning tool but one that can help them with school projects in the future. It’s compatible with both Mac and PC is using an USB device. Let your child fall in love with science with this unique microscope. A great way to learn about the beauty in everything.
Focusing the device can be a little difficult for some children. Help them with this until they have mastered the skill. Also, make sure your children are careful to care for the screen and do not touch it or scratch it. Stored safely in the box when finished using.
- Amazing all-in-one digital microscope brings technology into the hands of young learners and sparks a natural curiosity about scientific observation and investigation
- Egg-shaped microscope fits perfectly in a child's hand and can be positioned in any angle over objects to view them magnified 54x. View them immediately on your computer, projector, or interactive whiteboard, or take video or still photos to be used later
- Plugs directly into your computer, projector, or interactive whiteboard. Compatible with Mac and PC (XP, Vista, Win 7-10) and is automatically recognized as a USB device
- Compatible with Mac and PC (XP, Vista, Win 7-10) and is automatically recognized as a USB device
- Ideal for ages 4+
The Interactive Talking US map by Think Gizmos, I’m not a child to explore the United States without a car or an airplane. For one great price, the map attaches to a talking attachment which can hook to a chalkboard or magnetic board or be used on the floor. Tons of bright colors and engaging pictures keep your child attention while they learn.
Let your child learn facts about each state including climate, capital cities, and general knowledge. Includes over 500 facts which your child can later use to quiz themselves and the knowledge they have gained. A great idea for multiple children to use for competition and learn social skills.
The interactive map has an on-off switch, volume control, and auto switches off after a certain time. This requires 3 AAA batteries, but they come in the box. Learning toys like this one improve children’s understanding of the space they live in and help learn about the spaces farther away as well. An outstanding option to improve general knowledge and help children grow their brains.
Some customers experienced problems with the item working. Check the toy before giving to your children and dealing with disappointment. Buy fresh batteries in case the ones in the box do not hold a charge.
- Make learning fun again with this Interactive USA Map. Featuring information on climate, capital cities and general knowledge about all 50 states.
- This map can be wall mounted making it ideal for a school, play room or bedroom and with its bright and fun design it will help keep children interested whilst learning.
- This educational learning toy gift for boys and girls includes over 500 cool facts about the different states of America. And once you think you know them all you can test yourself with the awesome quiz mode.
- This Interactive USA Map has a built in on/off button, volume control and auto switch off timer. It requires 3xAAA Batteries which are included in the box.
- Providing hours of entertainment for children who will keep coming back trying to learn more and more about the USA.
Learning Time is one of the most difficult concepts for children. Now, you can help your child with a learning game that helps them to understand both digital and analog time. This does not, however, mean your child will get ready on time but at least I know they’re late!
The set includes 128 pieces to help your child engage with time and understanding the small hand in the big hand. Although, since most of the world runs off of digital time now, this game takes a step further by using flashcards for digital time. Your child can learn many skills including time, memory, fractions, and motor skills.
Allow your children to use this game with other kids to increase learning with social skills and turn-taking. Other skills include sequencing, problem-solving, and improvement and reading skills. Great for tactile or visual learners who have a hard time learning by hearing.
Finally, the game does not use any electronics whatsoever. Between 120 flashcards, dice, and dry erase boards your child will grasp time fully. Help your child build confidence as their big kid’s skills grow.
No issues with this game except maybe that your children will not enjoy this as much as a video game. Try to make the game engaging to help them learn this important set of skills.
- MULTIPLE SKILLS COVERED: One set covers so many skills, time, memory, fractions and fine motor.
- ENGAGING: Helps kids learn about clocks and making connections between digital and analog time.
- LOTS OF WAYS TO PLAY: Adjustable to all abilities. Lots of game suggestions for FUN and learning.
- GREAT FOR FAMILIES OR CLASSROOMS: Learn time sequence with, flash cards, clock board and dice.
- CREATIVE: 128 piece set allows for boys and girls to make up their own fun time / math games too.
Despite how well-loved Legos are for fun, they are one of the best learning tools available. Mind you, what are the reasons Legos are so fun because children are learning new skills and pushing the boundaries of their creativity and brain function. A classic set of Legos with no borders or no direct set provide even more opportunities for brain growth.
Legos provide the opportunity for spatial skills as construction toys and play allow for increased math skills. Building but blocks also allow children to increase engineering skills. If playing with another child Legos can increase cooperative play and social understanding. Most importantly, imagining something and bring it to life gives children a sense of accomplishment.
The classic large set provides your child with 790 pieces of Legos in a variety of color and shapes. It allows your child to build uninhibited and think of new and exciting ideas. They can build everything from a camera to a house to a castle. Great for siblings to share or for a party we could even have contests for the children.
Finally, the second includes a storage box for easy cleanup. If you add some extra bases your child can dance incredible houses if that’s their desire. Otherwise, everything inside can help them to engineer their own masterpieces.
Well, they’re over 700 pieces, few of those are the classic bricks. You may consider enhancing the set with a classic brick set or possibly suggesting to grandma she grab a set for birthdays or Christmas. Keep Legos away from siblings under the age of four.
- Engage your kids in pretend play by letting them build their own play toys, such as creating a toy house or toy scooter. This classic creative kit of LEGO bricks comes with 33 different colored bricks
- This brick box includes 8 different types of toy windows and toy doors, 2 green baseplates and 6 toy tires and toy wheel rims to create hours of creativity for kids; plus the LEGO inspired packaging serves as toy storage
- Kids will become creative builders as they use these color toys to build a figure or build a castle while also engaging in kids playtime
- The large build and play LEGO Creative Brick toy playset is compatible with all LEGO construction sets for neverending creative play
- The green baseplates in this build it yourself set measure over 6 inches long and 6 inches wide, and 4 inches long and 2 inches respectively, Kids will get to build and play with 790 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls between the ages of 4 and 99 years old
By age 7, most children are aware of most of their body parts at least the external body parts. However, learning what can’t be seen can still challenge a child. This double-sided Magnetic Human Body Puzzle by Learning Resources, help your child to become acquainted with the internal organs and muscles of the body.
The realistically detailed body measures about 3 feet in height and includes 17 magnetic pieces. It features and multilingual activity guide with diagrams for students to label. As the pieces are magnetic, the puzzle can be put together on a magnetic board or used on the floor instead. If you don’t mind looking at internal organs, you can even use a set on your refrigerator.
Last of all, understanding the inner workings of the human body gives your children a deeper understanding of self. This puzzle can also help your child with logic and reasoning skills as they figure out how the body parts work together. The body in the puzzle is unisex it does not provide any male or female genitalia but includes muscles, organs, and bones.
The puzzle does not include all the organs that represent a large selection of organs. None of the bones, muscles, or organs are labeled and you need to rely on the guide to find out what is where but this is a very good skill for your children to learn.
- Creates a realistically detailed body more than 3 feet Height
- Includes 17 magnetic pieces
- Features multilingual Activity Guide with reproducible diagrams for students to label
- Supports demonstrations and centers
- Learning Resources is a leading global manufacturer of innovative, hands-on educational products that provide engaging learning experiences that meet children's individual needs. Their products and brands are trusted by teachers and parents, but more importantly, are loved by children.
If you bought the magnetic puzzle above, you can pair it with the Ben Franklin Toys Doctor Lab Pad Biology Kit for a full understanding of the human body and how doctors treat patients. A doctor’s kit also helps children to gain understanding and empathy for other people. Unnecessary skill, especially since most children at seven, have not learned the art of tact.
They pretend play medical doctor sat offers real-life experiments and tests. We hope you don’t mind being a patient as your child spends hours examining you and all the other family members in the house. Included are a stethoscope, bandage, shot,
activity cards, anatomy model, brain game, I chart, and many more pieces to help your child monitor the health of the family.
Unlike most children’s doctor’s kits, this set looks and feels more realistic to give your child a better experience. They can write prescriptions take notes on the check-up or try experiments with willing siblings. The stethoscope actually works!
Not only can your child learn patient skills but also understanding, scientific tests, and other STEM skills. A fun toy for the budding doctor in your family or for children who do not have direction and need some incentive to see if becoming a physician is the direction they want to pursue.
The kit comes with a lab pad but does not have a storage box. You will need to find another way to store all the pieces. Again, you will be a patient whether you want to or not. Also, the family cat or dog may become a patient.
- Kids Doctor kit: 12 safe play & pretend medical Doctor activities - real life experiments and tests
- Mind blowing: hours of fun with over 30 high quality tools included
- Stay organized: examination lab pad keeps everything organized and clean
- Complete: it's all here: includes, stethoscope, bandage, shot, activity cards, anatomy model, brain game, eye chart, and much more!
- Exclusive: the only realistic real-life activity set with real-life experiments for kids.
Before your child can fully understand coding, let them see how circuits are put together. This Snap Circuits Exploration Kit allows a child to do just that, work with circuits. They can build over 500 experiments with the 76 parts included in the affordable set.
Children can try experiments including a digital voice recorder, and a.m. radio, and FM radio digitally tuned, and AC generator, a whistling fan, and many more enticing projects. Don’t worry about them hurting themselves, there are no tools or soldering everything is a snap-in part on a clear plastic base. The set says it’s for children eight and above but works perfectly for children at its age seven, as long as I have an adult nearby for help.
You will need to get four AA batteries for the circuits to work. All the snap circuit modules are fully compatible. A great way for children to understand beyond the computer to what makes the inside of the computer tech. STEM toys like this one increase spatial reasoning, patience, focus, and engineering.
Finally, if your child likes the set, you can upgrade the kit with expansions. Each of the projects available includes a project card with clear instructions of what pieces are needed and which location on the base. All the pieces come color-coded for easy understanding.
The circuit still contains some chemicals make sure your children wash their hands after handling these pieces. Also, ensure your children use a gentle touch with the circuits as they are breakable just like the ones in real life.
- Build over 500 experiments with 76 parts
- Experiments include: digital voice recorder, AM radio, digitally tuned FM radio, AC generator, screaming fan, whistle switch and much more!
- Parts included: snap wires, slide switches, resistors, an FM radio module, and a 7-segment LED display
- No soldering - no tools - it's a snap! Snap Circuits parts require no tools and and click together to ensure solid electrical connections
- Our AWARD-WINNING product line of Snap Circuits supports a vigorous STEM/ STEAM educational curriculum
10. Bit Coding Robot
Now that your child has learned how to use circuits, it’s time for coding. The Bit Coding Robot comes into colors either cool blue or white. This bed sized basic might offer some fabulous STEAM skills for ages six and up to learn basic coding. At seven years of age, your child needs less help to operate the bot.
The robot arrives fully sampled and ready to play with two different ways to code. First, you can use color codes which is a screen-free option with the stroke of a marker as your body responds to commands. The second way you can code with this little bot is with an advanced online programming editor called OzoBlockly. This programming editor requires dragging and dropping to create a bit code.
Each set features optical sensors, LED lights, a strong polycarbonate shell, and an online activity library. The set also includes some blocks, pages, and markers to make the path for the bot to follow. The set helps your child to learn future skills today as a pair with an app or with a pen for creativity. Works with every skill level.
I’m customers experienced issues with the bot charging properly. To avoid this issue, charge the bot before turning on for the first time as you should do with all electronics except Apple products. Make sure your child turns the bot off after each use to avoid issues.
- Meet Bit – A pocket-sized, basic bot for building early STEAM skills (ages 6+, Beginner coding)
- Ready to Roll – Arrives assembled and ready to play with two ways to code
- Color Codes – Start coding screen-free with the stroke of a marker, as you draw commands and Bit responds
- OzoBlockly – Advance online with the OzoBlockly programming editor, dragging and dropping to create Bit code
- Features: Optical Sensors, LED Light, Strong Polycarbonate Shell, Online Activity Library
Questions About The Best Educational Toys for 7-Year-Olds
Can my child learn from playing video games?
Yes, as a matter fact children can learn quite a few important skills from video games. From problem-solving to enhanced memories and coordination, multi-tasking, and even brain speed! If playing with a friend it can even help with team coordination along with social skills. All of these are valuable skills.
However, video games require staring at a screen all day. As adults, we know how uncomfortable staring at a screen can get and the risk of decreasing eyesight. Staring at a blue screen all day can definitely cause problems with sleep as well.
How much screen time should my 7-year-old get?
me should my 7-year-old get?
If at all possible, limit screen time to only a couple of hours a day and make it incentive-based. Yes, they are learning but that is not the only factor. Focusing on those skills only prevents children from learning other valuable skills like chores, cooking, and family time.
Provide other fun activities to help entice children to spend time away from video games and television. Making children earn screen time helps to promote other valuable skills like hard-work. Remember, your child is probably looking at screens while at school too.
What is the best way to help a 7-year-old build more in-depth Lego creations?
You can get them a book called 365 Things to Do with LEGO Bricks: Lego Fun Every Day of the Year along with tons of other books available to help children to branch out and think outside the box. Play with your child is another way to help children try something new with Legos.
Finding an older kid or two who love Legos is another way to help offer insight into building incredible Lego creations. Many malls now offer Lego stores with inspiration. If nothing else works try Youtube as they offer videos with ideas and even how to create which could inspire your child and help them follow instructions.
A conversation can often help a child to find inspiration. Sometimes collecting their thoughts and organizing them can be difficult for children at this age. Try talking to your child about what they want to build and guide them toward a decision.
Once you figure out what they want to build you can find out what is hindering them from building said item and help them come up with a plan. Often, harnessing creativity hinders children more than anything else as they are unsure how to implement their ideas. Help them out and you can teach them some organizational skills in the process.
Wrapping Up With The Best Educational Toys for 7-Year-Olds
If you can only pick one learning toy from this list, then pick the Lego Classic Set because children love Legos and forget they are learning valuable STEM skills. Engineering helps to open synapses in a child’s brain and hard wires it to learn important skills like development and math. These are skills you want your child to have especially since these skills expand on what they learn at school.
Still not convinced you should have your child play with legos? This video talks about some of the benefits: