The Top Educational Toys for an 8 Year Old Reviewed
The brain is a muscle that needs exercise. The best educational toys for 8-year-olds give your children the skills they need to face challenges with that muscle for the rest of their lives. Provide them with the tools to enhance their intelligence now, and you give them a future full of positivity and growth. Look below for the best options on the market.
Best Educational Toys for 8 Year Olds
Most children enjoy marble runs because the end product is so fun to watch. This ThinkFun Gravity Maze Marble Run goes from maze to marbles to logic game with each additional step. Your child can develop critical thinking skills by playing challenges against themselves or friends.
The gravity maze comes with a game grind, nine building towers, a target tower, three marbles, and 60 challenge cards. Read the instructions first for added information. The challenge cars range from beginner expert to increase in challenges as your child increases spatial reasoning.
To play, your child first selects a challenge card. Next, they set up towers according to the cards. After they have set up the base pieces, your child must figure out what to make their maze run. Each change of position can completely change the maze.
Finally, when your child has mastered all of the challenges and learned everything possible, they can create their own games. This powerful game teaches logic, patience, focus, spatial understanding, and more. Give your children a leg up in school with this masterful game.
The game is limited in pieces and eventually, your child will bore with this toy. However, by that time they will learn quite a bit for the game. At this point, you can pass again down to your siblings or friends for added value.
- Trusted by Families Worldwide - With over 50 million sold, ThinkFun is the world's leader in brain and logic games.
- Develops critical skills – Playing your way through the challenges builds spatial reasoning and planning skills, and is partly an engineering and building toy that provides a great stealth learning experience for young players.
- What you get – Gravity Maze is a combination logic game, marble run, and STEM toy that's one of the best gifts you can buy for boys and girls age 8 and up. It contains 60 challenges from beginner to expert, a game grid, 9 towers, 1 target piece, and 3 marbles.
- Clear instructions – Easy to learn with a clear, high quality instruction manual. You can start playing immediately!
- Comes with multi-level challenges - Gravity Maze comes with 60 beginner to expert challenges that become increasingly difficult as you play through them.
The Tinkering Labs Electric Motors Catalyst lets your child engineer endless robotic creations without a screen in front of their face. As the toy is for eight years old and up, you can get a lot of money use out of the toy as it grows with them. They can even pair this toy with their Legos or other toys as they understand if uses.
Inventing sets improve STEM skills and this one comes with the motor help your child understand math, engineering, technology, and science. It’s the epitome of future toys. Your child can you gain so many skills to improve their understanding of technology and implement their imagination.
The do-it-yourself kit comes with over 50 real pieces. Ten challenge cards help them to broaden their horizons. The set includes real wood pieces including wheels gears and the base. Find cables screws, markers, wheel shafts, and the screwdriver to make building easier.
Finally, the site includes a storage bag and box for easy cleanup. At first, your child may want to work on the set with their parents but after a while, they can work alone. This can also be useful for school projects when needed.
The price is a little steep but your kids get a whole lot of learning a can rebuild over and over again. Once your child is finished, pass toy down to the next generation. Check to make sure that all of the pieces are there or the kit will not work properly.
- The original Tinkering Labs kit: build & rebuild endless robotic creations with a single kit.
- Inventing set for ages 8+: Create unique STEM toys for 8-12 year olds & teens.
- Robotics for kids: build doodling Robots, power Electric model cars, Add motors to Legos, and more!
- Intro to engineering kit: perfect gift for aspiring engineers & tinkerers! Kid-tested, parent-approved.
- Diy kit with 50+ real parts: build Robots with 10 challenge cards, Wood, Electric motors, & hardware.
Instead of building fancy machinery, let your child explore the most complex machine – the human body. The SmartLab Toys Human Body Kit gives your child an understanding of themselves and everything that the went body is capable of. This STEM toy teaches about biology and anatomy, something everyone should understand on at least a basic level.
The set includes a 12-inch realistic human body model and the model of a human brain on a pedestal. Your child can use the included forceps, tweezers, and scalpel, to build and rebuild the human body. With the included 10 activity cards and the 24 paged illustrated book, children can begin to understand the complexity of anatomy.
Also, children at the age of eight to about 13 Love is squishy stuff like slime and all those new squishy toys that are all the rage. These body parts offer a squish factor as a piece together the brain, glowing eyeballs, spinal cord, and other body parts. Includes the poster to help your child organize the body parts correctly.
Finally, not only are the removable part squishy but some of them glow. Neat features like this really appeal to the sensibilities of a young child. These thoughtful features encourage children to engage with this powerful learning toy.
Check to make sure all of the pieces are in the box when it arrives as missing pieces make for less fun and learning. Do not allow children under the age of eight to use this toy without parental supervision. Ensure children use a gentle touch with the non-squishy parts for longer toy life.
- Explore the most complex machine in the world: you! This kit includes a 12" realistic human body model and a model of the human brain.
- Use the forceps, tweezers, and scalpel to build, rebuild, and dissect the brain and body.
- 10 activity cards and 24-page illustrated book teach kids anatomy, showing them how the brain and body work together to keep you Walking, talking, breathing, and eating.
- STEM focus: biology and anatomy
- Ages 8 and up
Bring anatomy to life with the Curiscope Virtuali-Tee with augmented reality. With a T-shirt an app your child can learn about each of their organs in a unique and fun way. Children love technology and exciting new ways to learn. This special T-shirt shows them what’s under the T-shirt in an exciting manner.
The blue T-shirt comes with little squares with symbols to make up the rib cage and spine. What’s your child download the app, put the T-shirt on and point the app at the shirt. Now your child can interact with the body by clicking on hotspots with the guide. Anatomy expert Hans Glover provides all of the information.
Next, let your child learn with friends in selfie mode which can be projected onto TV or a screen other people. The T-shirt works with all IOS and android devices. Shirt sizes include children’s sizes extra small through extra-large adult sizes small through XXL.
Never before had a toy brought life to the human body then this engaging T-shirt. Your child can learn STEM skills while learning where their lungs, liver, heart, and digestive organs are inside. Great for learning about both anatomy and technology.
Last of all, the app now comes in Spanish as well as American and UK English and French! Made of 100% cotton for easy care. Time for learning!
The shirts are not sized perfectly and you may need to go up a size. You need someone else to wear the shirt to use the app. Your child cannot wear the shirt and use the app at the same time. He can, however, put this shirt on a doll or stuffed animal or the table.
- EXPERIENCE THE ULTIMATE SCIENCE LESSON FOR ANATOMY. Dive into the bloodstream, lungs and small intestine with 360 VR videos and the NEW heart rate tracker for a truly immersive way to discover the human body.
- EXCITING AND EDUCATIONAL TOY AND LEARNING RESOURCE. Perfect for children aged 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 years old. Verified by medical and educational professionals and loved by both parents and teachers.
- SIMPLE AND FUN TO USE. Download the included app, put on your Virtuali-Tee or get a friend to wear it. Open the app and point your device at the Virtuali-Tee. Interact with the body by clicking on hotspots where the anatomy expert, Hans Glover, will guide you through the vital organs in the body. Works in selfie mode and can be streamed to your TV and projector.
- INCLUDED APP WORKS WITH ALMOST ALL iOS AND ANDROID DEVICES. Please check compatibility by downloading the Virtuali-Tee app or checking the full list of supported devices below.
- AWARD WINNING. The Virtuali-Tee is a recipient of the prestigious 2018 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award and 2018 Gold Mom's Choice Award as well as being featured on the TODAY SHOW - “Don’t be surprised when the kids crowd around, mesmerized and ready to learn."
Instead of Legos, introduce your child to this building block toy where they can build a dinosaur and then control it. The Mould King Remote Control Dinosaur brings learning together with fantasy. STEM toys enhance learning especially for the engineers of tomorrow.
The set includes 485 pieces to make an incredible fiery dragon. Help cultivate your child’s logical thinking and hands-on ability with this unique toy. All of the building pieces are safe and washable and more importantly reusable. Once belts, the Dragon will be able to bit expand their wings and wiggle their tail.
Building sets like this one, how to develop patients and focus along with creativity. A remote control is included to help in all directions. Charging the robot is easy with a built-in rechargeable battery. When fully charged, your child can play for 40 minutes. Requires two triple-A batteries not included.
Last of all, if you buy more than one set, your child can later battle the dragons with a friend. Use what your child loves to help them learn. With this toy, the learning is as endless as the fun and he or she can extend the dragons world with a Lego city or anything else they can imagine.
Check all the pieces are inside the box before giving to your child as missing pieces may make the object and unusable. Keep away from smaller children under the age of five as it has a lot of small pieces. Consider buying a storage box to store all the small pieces.
- CREATIVE STEM TOYS: Introduce kids to the building block of the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. As child build up the different parts together and discover how the building system works, which is encourage patience and focus, while developing their hand-eye coordination, logical thinking skills and creativity. Building, learning and remote control operation robots has never been more fun!
- LEARN WHILE PLAYING: Comes with 2.4G remote controller, it moves in all directions-left, right, forward, backward and 360 degree rotating stunt. This is a funny game for children and parents working together to build and play.
- SAFETY MATERIAL FOR KIDS: Each bright, colorful pieces are certified non-toxic and BPA-free. Made of high-quality ABS plastics which is durable and light for kids to play with. Supports in STEM areas of child's healthy and happy growth development.
- EASY TO CHARGE: Building Block Robot has various charging methods for you. Equipped with built-in rechargeable batteries in the robot, charged 120 min can play 40 min. You can charge the RC robot which has include a glowing charging cable via the plug, portable bank, laptop and so on. And the remote control need 2AAA batteries(NOT INCLUDED).
- EDUCATIONAL PERFECT GIFT: Fuel your child’s curiosity by remote control building block robot kits. Kid's companion, keeps kids engaged and entertained and offers a fun and educational way to play. Great learning toys and educational birthday gift for 6-14 years old kids.
At 8-years-old, your child has a large enough vocabulary to start playing the best board game to ever exist. The Scrabble Deluxe Edition offers the original game board while keeping your original game intact. Help improve your child’s vocabulary and increase their learning with this fun family game.
Do not fix what is not broken and Scrabble is not broken. If you have never played this game, here’s a quick crash course. You make a word and then the next player builds off that word and the game continues around until they’re no more letters left.
Each player is given seven tiles to start and add more letter tiles as they use letter tiles. Strategy comes into play when placing the words on specific tiles for more points. This game teaches vocabulary, reading, math, and strategy.
Store all of the pieces in a bag and then into the side pocket on the board game. The tile holders store in another pocket. Fully game up when finished for easy storage and carry. Also, the board rotates so each player can you read the board easier. This game brings learning to family game night.
Check to make sure you have all of the letter tiles as missing letters means on spelled words. The price is a little higher than the original edition but comes with built-in storage and less mess to clean up.
- Classic Scrabble game word gameplay: the Scrabble deluxe edition board game is a game for Scrabble fans and those new to classic Scrabble gameplay
- Rotating game board: this deluxe edition of the Scrabble game features a game board that rotates with ease on 6 soft rubber wheels, so players can turn the game board towards them to read the words
- Letter tiles stay in place: the Scrabble deluxe edition game includes a non-slip grid with recessed game spaces to keep tiles in place
- Game carrying case: pack it up and take this Scrabble word game on the go! It features a sleek folding carrying case with handle and 2 slide-and-store trays
- Go green: Ships in simple brown, recyclable packaging that's easy to open and frustration free
Continue the fun of board games with the World Game. This geography card game helps to broaden your child’s horizons with fun for the whole family. The gameplay is simple and interactive to really learn about the world.
This set includes Game cards with flags and facts about each country, a world map game board, and a storage box. Find the strongest fact about the country and win the game. All 194 internationally recognized countries can be located on the game map.
Beyond learning about the location of other countries, your child can also learn about flags, capitals, and locations. This trivia game provides tons of educational benefits to expand your child’s world. First, they can learn about strategy during gameplay. Second, they can learn about foreign countries. Great for fostering healthy competition and simple enough to enjoy with the whole family.
Despite each country labeled with the number, there is no master list to help find each country. Also, the map is not a hard board but instead a thicker piece of paper.
- COMPLETE GEOGRAPHY CARD GAME – Find the strongest fact about the country and win.
- FAMILY BOARD GAME – All 194 international recognised countries included. Can be used as flash cards.
- FOR KIDS AND ADULTS – For all stages of knowledge, for families and kids ages 7 years and up. Perfect as a GIFT.
- FLAGS, CAPITALS & LOCATION - Show the country on the map, recognise the flag or name the capital city.
- FUN AND EDUCATIONAL - Geography trivia game. The more you play the more you know. Travel and play with friends.
Let your child become an archaeologist with the Mega Fossil Dig Kit by Dan & Darci. Excavation toys bring the past to life and help children understand the world of archaeology. Great for children who love science and dinosaurs.
Inside the box, you will find a large brick, a magnifying glass, a mallet, a chisel, a brush, the storage bags, and an instructional fact-book. With all of these tools, your child is ready to dig up authentic fossils buried in the brick. They can discover dinosaur bones, shark teeth, brachiopods, ammonites, and other fossils.
As they find each fossil they can follow along with the beautifully illustrated 20-page booklet that describes each fossil. This helps them to learn interesting facts and history about each piece. This kid fosters a lot of science and archeology and may help them to find a career path. If nothing else, learning new facts helps to foster a love of history and improve their knowledge base.
As this is a digging kit, it will make a mess as your child chisels out the fossils. Have your child use the kit outside or on a mat to contain the mess. The process can be time-consuming and frustrating. This can help to foster patience in focus.
No products found.
Time for coding fun with a mythical unicorn. The UBTECH Mythical Series combines fantasy with coding and building. One of the important STEM features is technology and another is engineering. This toy brings those elements together as you first build your unicorn and then code your unicorn.
What your children will love most is the magical horn with different colors to customize and personalize their unicorn. First I need to build the 440 snap-together parts. Also in the box, they will find robotic motors and a control box. Everything from the battery to the wheels comes in the easy to store box to make life simple.
A free app comes with the mythical creature that works for both android and IOS. This app allows them to create code commands to move the unicorn around on her wheel legs. This tour not only teaches STEM but allows children to crack open their imaginations but learn technology to help them to advance in school and future careers.
The app does not work on the Kindle Fire. Phone screens may be too small to use with this toy. Consider using a tablet instead for easier use. Sometimes apps crash and this app is no different.
- Introducing a brilliant, buildable, codable robot from UBTECH robotics
- Learn to use Blockly coding to program your unicornbot's special color sensor using eight magical color cards.
- Program the magical horn with different colors to customize and personalize your unicorn creation.
- Create entirely new, custom actions with the prp (pose, record, play) function.
- No tools required – our 3D, 360° animated building instructions walk you through the steps.
If your child is not into mythical beasts like unicorns then you may want to try a very popular superhero kit instead. The Avengers Hero Inventor Kit stems from the wildly popular Marvel universe and Tony Stark’s uniform. This kit allows your child to build a gauntlet and become a superhero, at least in their imagination.
The inventor kit works in four steps. First, your child builds their gauntlet. Second, they code the device. Third, they customize the armband with their personal touches. Finally, they play. This is where their imagination can go wild imagining all of the beasts they can destroy to save the world.
Use the gauntlet with an app to learn coding to help improve STEM skills. Children can learn the basics of engineering, technology, and even math. More importantly, this toy helps to open up their imagination.
Finally, the toy comes with sound effects and you can even record your own effects too. Let your child code like the incredible Tony Stark. This toy helps to foster empathy too as children want to save the world like the superheroes in their favorite movies.
The app has a few bugs to work out. Thankfully, app updates come out often to improve problems. Keep a computer savvy person nearby to tweak the gizmos and gadgets to ensure fewer issues. The price is rather high but brings the world of learning and creativity to your kitchen table.
- Code your gauntlet to unleash 10 authentic Avengers sound effects or record your own hero battlecry.
- Includes everything kids need to build and customize an interactive electronic Super hero gauntlet: electronic building blocks, LED Matrix, authentic Marvel sound effects bit, plastic pieces, stickers and battery.
- Unlock hours and hours of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, math) learning with over 18 activities for Super hero kids to build, play and code.
- Creative kids bring their imagination to life by personalizing their interactive Super hero gear with included sticker sheets and household items.
- No grown-ups necessary: in-app step by step video instructions and troubleshooting guide kids through fun missions like stealth mode, speed Tracker, Super hero voice, and animator creator.
Questions About The Best Educational Toys for 8-Year-Olds
Do educational toys help children with learning in school?
Yes, yes, and definitely yes. Educational toys make learning fun which is paramount to inspire a desire to learn more and continue learning. Maybe the teacher makes geography boring but then they can come home and play the geography game with mom and dad and learn what the teacher was teaching but with more inspiration.
Educational toys are often more hands-on than school lessons as well. At school, the kids learn on a chalkboard or by listening or reading. At home, they get to touch, feel, and make a mess. Some children need this tactile experience to learn. The younger the child the more enticing interaction is with learning tools.
As your child gets older, they will want to spend less time with toys and more time with friends and screens. Use this time now while they are young to bring the world to their fingertips. Inspiring a love of learning now helps them to stay motivated to continue the fun when they look for a career. This is why kids love music so much because instruments are so tactile.
Are educational toys more important than exercise?
Educational toys and exercise are equally important. A restless mind cannot work as well. Your child needs equal amounts of time learning, exercising, playing, relaxing, and sleeping. Fun projects like the learning toys above can often be left for rainy days or nights when it’s too dark to go outside.
Children learn from playing outside and moving their muscles. The time they spend learning sinks in more than you know. Studies have proven that exercise works as a release to relax children and improve hormone levels which in turn helps them to study and learn better. Make sure your child spends time outside or playing a sport. It’s in their best interest.
How do I keep my kids from losing all of the pieces to their toys and kits?
The best way to keep messes in check is to nag. Yes, mom’s we have to nag our kids. Constantly remind them to clean up. Some day, probably not until they have their own children, they will understand the benefits of cleaning up after themselves. Until then, it’s up to you.
Remind them when they take a toy out they need to clean it up when they are finished. Explain to them the importance of setting up a workspace and keeping all of the pieces in the defined workspace. Remind them to put the pieces away properly. Parenting is basically reminding your kids to do things until they can remind themselves.
Wrapping Up With The Best Educational Toys for 8-Year-Olds
The best educational toys improve skills children are learning in school like reading and math. If you can only pick one educational toy from this list pick Scrabble. The board game improves reading and math skill along with strategy and focus. This one family-oriented activity can teach so much and provide such a sense of self-esteem as your child builds their skills while building words.
If you decide to get Scrabble for your 8-year-old, this video will help teach them the rules: