Top Organic Baby Formulas Reviewed
With all of the harmful additives that make up much of our food and skin care products, many new parents are choosing to feed their baby only organic baby formula. When deciding to go down the organic baby formula road, you first need to which formula to avoid and which to embrace.
Which Formula Properties to Avoid
Organic baby food should contain only the purest ingredients. The nutrition labels on many of the standard baby formulas on the market reveal a shocking amount of ingredients that are chemical, synthetic, or processed. You should always check the nutrition label before buying a product. According to Food Babe, if you see these ingredients listed on the nutrition label of the formula, you should not buy it.
- Synthetic Preservatives
- Palm Oil
- Synthetic Nutrients
- Processed Refined Sugars
Anything that is synthetic or processed is not something you want to be feeding your baby. Introducing these products at such a young age can lead to poor eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle in your baby’s future.
What Properties You Want in Your Organic Formula
Three are three things you want to find when shopping for your infant formula, most organic companies will have these statements written where they will catch your eye. These statements on the nutritional label of your organic infant formula include:
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) – This omega 3 fatty acid is essential for the proper growth of the brain, skin, and retina. It is also essential for the proper growth of the sperm and testicles in male children.
- ARA (Arachidonic Acid) – This omega 6 fatty acid is found in peanut oil and is essential to the growth of the brain and muscles.
- Non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) – This means that the animals used to create the product and anything else added to the formula was not manipulated by scientific engineering in the field of genetics.
These three basic properties make up a complete and healthy infant formula. DHA and ARA are steadily becoming standard in infant and toddler milk products because they make a big difference in the child’s developing body and brain.
What Are The Best Organic Baby Formulas In 2019?
- Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula
- Baby’s Only Organic Infant Formula
- Similac Advance Organic Infant Formula
- Vermont Organics Infant Formula
- Earth’s Best Organic, Sensitivity with Iron, Infant Formula
- Honest Organic Premium Infant Formula
Best Organic Baby Formulas
Earth’s Best holds the top spot on Amazon’s Best Seller Organic Infant Formula because it is almost identical to breast milk where vitamins and minerals are concerned. This formula contains twice the average amount of DHA, a primary component of proper brain and eye development during the first twelve months. It contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or potentially harmful additives.
- Organic formula that is easy to digest and nutritionally complete for baby's first twelve months*
- All lactose milk based powder formulation; our closest formula to breast milk, no added corn syrup solids
- Omega 3 DHA and Omega 6 ARA fatty acids naturally found in breast milk to support brain and eye development, Iron for healthy development
- With lutein for eyes and prebiotic fructooligosaccharides for immunity
- Non GMO ingredients and Kosher; Made without prohibited synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
This formula is gluten-free, contains no corn syrup or GMO ingredients. It is dairy based but is free of dairy tainted by growth hormone, steroids, or antibiotics. Baby’s Only is a good option for children who have gluten or corn allergies and is USDA Certified Organic. It is also equipped with DHA & ARA toddler formula.
- 1st and only formula using Organic Certified DHA & ARA derived from organic egg phosphlipids; supports brain & eye development
- Certified USDA Organic; No hormones, antibiotics-treated dairy cows; no harmful pesticides or fertilizer
- Rated "Best in Class" by CleanLabelProject.org for Superior Nutrition and Purity
- Baby's Only Organic Formulas do NOT contain GMO, Corn/Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, or Hexane Processed DHA
- The best organic start: our baby formula is a good nutritional choice to assure continuation of strong growth and development
Similac is the most recognizable name because of their line of standard formulas, they only recently added an organic option to their formula line. This product offers complete nutrition and is Certified USDA Organic with DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E.
- USDA-CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Similac Organic Infant Formula for your baby’s first year is made with wholesome organic milk and other organic ingredients
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: Similac is the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormones*
- FOR BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E, nutrients also found in breast milk, help support baby’s overall growth and brain and eye development
- TRUSTED FORMULA: Similac Organic is the #1 organic formula brand recommended by pediatricians, and Similac is the #1 brand chosen by moms (Total US infant formula, all outlets as of 3/31/2018, Nielsen data.)
- 1-MONTH SUPPLY: When mixed as directed, one container makes approximately 42 four-fl-oz bottles. Six containers makes a total of 252 bottles
This brand is less-known than Similac, but it is USDA organic with no antibiotics, added growth hormones, or harmful pesticides. It also includes DHA, ARA, Omega 3, Calcium, and Iron.
- Newborn to 12 months. Complete nutrition for baby's first year.
- USDA organic, gluten free. Milk-based.
- No harmful pesticides, no antibiotics, no added growth hormones.
- DHA, lutein ARA, Omega 3, calcium, vitamin E and iron.
- Reconstituted liquid volume: 172 fl oz. Add water.
This product has all of the same ingredients as the original Earth’s Best Organic Formula except that it has a low-lactose content. It contains no added preservatives, colors, or flavors. It is USDA Organic and Kosher certified. This product is also free of steroids, antibiotics, and synthetic fertilizers.
- For baby's first 12 months
- DHA & ARA: naturally found in breast milk for baby's brain & eye development
- Low lactose, easy-to-digest, Whey dominant formula with a blend of carbohydrates that is gentle on babies' tummies
- With lutein for eyes & prebiotics for immunity
- USDA Organic certified & Kosher; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, GEI, growth hormones, antibiotics, steroids or potentially harmful pesticides/herbicides
This product is non-GMO and contains Iron, Vitamin D, Calcium, Choline, and Folic Acid. It is also free of high fructose corn syrup, antibiotics, steroids, synthetic flavors, Pesticides and peanuts. Their company makes a point to say that they left out the DHA & ARA is that is present in most organic baby formula and instead offers Baby DHA, which is a supplemental version made of Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, and Premium Fish Oil.
- USDA Organic & Non-GMO premium infant formula with iron
- Carefully balanced & modeled after breastmilk
- Nutritionally Complete using Quality Ingredients, Iron, Vitamin D, Calcium, Choline, & Folic Acid
- Our infant formulas are made without DHA. Here's why: We have chosen not to add DHA because the only DHA currently used in infant formula does not meet our rigorous Honest standards. We offer our Baby DHA supplement – a non-chemically extracted, pure premium fish oil
- Made without added DHA / ARA, gluten, GMOs, carrageenan, corn syrup solids, milk from cows treated with rbST or added sucrose
Many pediatricians are now recommending that children transitioning from baby to toddler be kept on nutritional milk supplement to continue encouraging proper growth. This formula is made from goat’s milk and is ideal for children who have a sensitivity to cow’s milk. It is non-GMO without any antibiotics, growth hormones, or preservatives. It is equipped with 22 vitamins and minerals including DHA, ARA, and Iron.
- Naturally easy to digest, premium non-GMO goat milk formula, ideal for weaning and supplementing.
- May be a solution for children with cow milk sensitivity*. Tummy troubles, congestion, and eczema may be associated with cow milk sensitivity. *not suitable for children with cow milk protein allergy
- Kabrita Goat Milk Formula has a mild, sweet and fresh taste and smell. A safe, effective and nutritious alternative to homemade goat milk formula recipes.
- Nutritionally fortified goat milk formula with 22 vitamins and minerals including folic acid, DHA, ARA, and iron.
- Our playful, happy goats are raised on family farms and graze on fresh grasses.
Basics For Formula Feeding Babies
Finding an organic baby formula that fits your baby’s needs can be tricky if you do not know what you are looking for. Remember that anything that looks difficult to pronounce is probably not a healthy additive and avoid products that have synthetic or processed ingredients.
The less unnatural ingredients you put in your child’s body, the higher their chances are of maintaining proper growth and health. Every baby is different and requires different nutrients, it is always best to speak to a doctor before you switch your child to a formula that they are not used to. If your baby has sensitivities or allergies to anything, you need to do your research on each product carefully to ensure that you will not be causing stomach upset or long-term damage.
With all of this information, you have everything you need to find the perfect organic baby formula and set your child down a path of good health for the future.
Here is a great video that covers some of the basics of formula feeding: