The Top Educational Toys for a 4 Year Old Reviewed
The best educational toys for 4-year-olds work on increasing the skills they have been learning but with more challenges. Toys for this are more sophisticated and for older hands that know how to manipulate more objects while also improving important skills they are learning in preschool. Find the best list of toys right here!
Best Educational Toys for 4 Year Olds
Not only does the VTech Record & Learn KidiStudio help your child make music but also to learn a whole scope of instruments and skills. However, the learning entices your child to play but the record and playback will! Along with a real microphone and voice, changer will turn your kid into a DJ!
Let your child explore roleplaying – as a DJ, singer, musician and more – various instruments, creativity, beginning music reading skills, disc scratching and so much more. This bright orange toy vivid with color also brings over 40 songs to life. The keyboard lights up as kids learn to play jazz, techno, rock, and classical music.
As for the basics, the toy works best for children 3-6 but at 4-years-old, your child is more likely to attempt real music instead of just banging on the keys and buttons. Requires 3 AA batteries as the ones included only work for demo. Fits perfectly on a little table or the floor.
With the microphone, drums, sliders, speakers, disc scratcher, and keyboard, your little one will learn instruments, music reading, precursors to math. Most importantly, they learn a host of different instruments so they can find their sound and personal preferences. Individually is key at this age as your child prepares for preschool and finding out how he relates to the world without his parents.
Here is a video showing the kidistudio in action:
Kid’s toys rarely make sounds that parents enjoy. This toy is no exception. Do not expect the sound to like a professional musical set. The price is super nice for your wallet but not for your ears. Think how much buying all of those instruments would be and how much space they would take up! A few customers had issues with the microphone not working.
- Toddler toy recording studio allows kids to record and playback their own music; early education toy comes with a real microphone and voice changer
- Kids music toy teaches pretend play, instruments, creativity and music; explore a variety of sounds including drums, a scratch disc and a whammy bar
- 40+ songs and sound effects; kids keyboard lights up to teach children to follow along to Jazz, Techno, and Rock and Roll music
- The toy keyboard keys work simultaneously; karaoke toy teaches tempo, rhythm and melody
- The musical instrument for toddlers is meant for ages 3-6; 3 AA batteries are included for demo, use new batteries for regular use
Jasonwell’s Magnetic Tile Set keeps kids busy for hours learning about engineering and spatial reasoning. Beyond learning, one of the best reasons to buy this set is the more mature feel of the toy. Children will use these blocks into double digits.
The 133 pieces of allows kids to build unique creations and expand their creativity. A great toy for multiple children to use at once. You make want to buy two sets especially with multiple kids in the house as many of the creations may require more pieces with two builders playing.
Each tile comes in a vibrant color from pink to yellow to blue. Find all sorts of shapes and different sizes. Comes with wheels to build cars. Also includes alphanumeric cards for inspiration and a storage bag for the tiles.
Magnetic blocks provide an outlet for fulfilling kids imaginary designs while also teaching patterns, focus, logic, and building along with other invaluable STEM skills. The magnets are strong enough to keep their creations together until they take them apart. Stack the pieces together for easy storage.
While the set includes 133 pieces as advertised, some of those pieces are the idea cards. You may consider purchasing two sets which are quite affordable.
- 【Fun Toys 】: This magnet toys set covers many shapes,can be combined into many patterns,such as ferri wheels, animals, houses, vehicles, planes etc, develop kids' imagination, creativity and mind. Total 133 pieces: one big Ferris wheel set (8 components), 28*Triangular, 28*Square, 2*Hexagon, 2* Diamond, 2*Trapezoidal, 4*Long Triangle, 9* Semicircle,2*circle, 2* rectangle, 2* right triangle and 2*Wheels, 26*Alphanumeric Card(nonmagnetic), 16*Digital Card(nonmagnetic), 1*Storage Bag
- 【Educational STEM toys】: Learn while play. Different shapes, assorted colors. 2 different random colors on each side of each magnetic tile. Kids can learn colors, shapes, letters and digits while having fun.
- 【Safe, Durable & Stronger Magnet】: The magnets blocks are made of high quality original ABS material, built with round edges for safety and smooth hand-feeling.Ultrasonic welding process and over 3000 anti-throw tests to prevent it from breaking apart. About 4300~4600 Gauss stronger magnets build in.
- 【Great Family Games to Close Parent Child Family Relationship】: Parents Kids Families being in part of the building games together to have quality family time and valubale memories
- 【Easy Storage & Idea Booklet】: Comes with a storage bag to store all the tiles while not play.Also an idea booklet included for your easy reference to build various kinds of models. Compatible with other similar-size tiles. Best Christmas, birthday gift/present.
Encourage your child’s future scientist aspirations with the Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. Talking Microscope. The set includes twelve slides and a 5x focusing magnifier view of bug specimens. Great for little ones obsessed with insects and studying life around them.
The focusing knob allows even tiny hands to find even the smallest details on a bug or other small items. The set includes facts and question in full color with images which work in fact and quiz modes. Dual eyepieces allow for easier scoping along with 5 times magnification. Includes a built-in storage case for the 20 included slides.
Next, the audio on the talking microscope offers English, Spanish, French, and German for a worldly toy that expands the world of languages for you. You will need to purchase 3 AAA batteries. A great toy to open the world of science to four-year-olds.
Finally, while not a real microscope, this is the first step to getting your child interested in exploring the world around them even the things too small for the eye to see. A great STEM toy for opening doors into the
The storage draw does not work well and you may want to find another way to store the slides. Also, the slides aren’t super realistic.
- LOOK, LISTEN & LEARN: GeoSafari Jr. Talking Microscope features up-close, quality images and the voice of Bindi Irwin, Wildlife Warrior who will expand your knowledge of animals and plants
- ONLY TALKING MICROSCOPE FOR PRESCHOOLERS: Introduce children to a real scientific toy that is easy to use and fun to learn with
- OVER 100 FACTS & QUESTIONS: Includes 60 beautiful full-color images and 2 modes of play, Fact Mode and Quiz Mode. Requires 3 AAA batteries (not included). English, Spanish, French, and German audio available
- STEM LEARNING: The perfect STEM TOY to encourage an interest in biology, botany, and overall curiosity
- BACK TO SCHOOL or HOMESCHOOL ACTIVITY: Our Geosafari Jr. interactive talking products make the perfect activity to get ready for school! Or keep kids engaged, entertained, and learning independently while being at home
Melissa and Doug make tons of quality wood toys like the See & Spell Learning Toy. The set includes wooden plaques with a picture and slots for the coordinating word. Also, there is a set of letters to fill in the word for each picture. The whole set comes in a wooden case to store away when not in use.
Many of the pictures include food, daily objects, and animals that start. The words are simple three or four-letter words each clearly outlined to help kids with letter recognition. Everything in the set works toward improving reading comprehension, vocabulary, spelling, fine motor skills, and sight-reading.
Great for kids interested in ready or for groups. Make a game out of learning by having kids race to find their letters, put them in, and read their word. Work in stages to allow kids to learn as they grow. The whole set is made of sturdy wood meant to last through multiple children.
The storage case holds everything easily, but the cover is flimsy and will not last long. You may want to store in an extra-large zipper bag. Some customers received defective products with typos or pictures that do not match the coordinating word. Make sure to check before giving the set to your children.
- Sturdy wooden case: For easy storage and portability, this learning toy comes with a sturdy wooden case, which is compact and easy to carry
- Develops multiple skills: This set develops sight reading vocabulary, spelling, and fine motor skills; it’s an easy and exciting toy that multiple children can play with at once, helping them develop important social skills
- Gift for kids 4 to 6: This puzzle set makes an exceptional gift for kids ages 4 to 6; Add the Melissa & Doug Wooden Number Puzzle with storage box to round out the hands on play experience and give kids another engaging option for screen free fun
- The gold standard in childhood play: for more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that nbc news called “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
- 100 percent happiness guarantee: We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts; if your child is not inspired, give us a call and we'll make it right; our phone number is on every product
Arts and crafts provide hours of fun but provide so many other benefits as well. Cultivating art cultivates the future of creativity and innovation. An art easel, like the one by Melissa & Doug, is the first step to opening the door to the imagination. You might have the next Picasso!
Many art easels take up a lot of space which can be troublesome even for larger houses as they are bulky and don’t fit anywhere. Why not a better way? A tabletop easel fits anywhere and allows children to sit while they create. When not in use, store the easel out of the way and save for another rainy day.
The wood easel includes a drop-down storage tray, a fold-up stand, a paper roll stick and of course a drawing surface that doubles as a dry-erase board. Behind the drawing surface, find a chalkboard for another way to draw. Inside the box, find 36 magnets and 50 feet of paper. Grab some markers, crayons, or paints and complete the set. A great travel toy as you can use it folded as well.
The board may fall flat on slippery surfaces. Try putting a piece of felt underneath to prevent slipping. As the product is made of wood, it can break if not shipped properly or if dropped. Make sure your child uses the easel gently.
- BUILT-IN PAPER ROLL: This tabletop easel includes a dry-erase board and chalkboard, a built-in wooden paper roll holder, a 50-foot-long paper roll, dry-erase marker, 5 pieces of colored chalk, an eraser, and 36 letter and number magnets.
- STURDY WOODEN CONSTRUCTION: The Melissa & Doug Deluxe Double-Sided Tabletop Easel is a sturdy and durable dry-erase board/chalkboard for kids ages 3 and up. It’s made from high-quality wood that folds flat for easy storage.
- PROMOTES CREATIVE PLAY: Our tabletop easel for kids is a magnetic dry-erase board on one side and a chalkboard on the other. The 42-piece set stimulates imaginations and inspires hours of hands-on, screen-free play.
- GREAT GIFT FOR AGES 3 AND UP: The Deluxe Double-Sided Tabletop Easel makes an ideal gift for kids ages 3 years and up. Add the Easel Companion Accessory Set for even more creative fun.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News calls “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
Learning about the past helps kids to understand how the world formed. Dinosaurs are definitely in the past but children still find them fascinating. The Dino Egg Dig Kit by Sugoiti allows children to excavate a digging site or become an explorer!
The set includes 12 different dinosaur eggs and the necessary tools to dig the eggs out. After they dig, your child gets 12 different mini dinosaurs to play with. An excavation guide tells your child about the dinosaurs.
Dinosaur lovers will love that the set includes the Parasaurolophus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Corythosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, Apatosaurus, Stegoceras, and the Plesiosaur. Once dug out of the clay, the dinos are made of ABS material which is safe for kids. Rinse off the clay and now your kids can play.
A great toy for teaching a ton of skills including history, dinosaur recognition, patience, focus, hand-eye coordination, STEM skills, and teamwork. A fun idea for a dinosaur themed birthday party or a group of children to work together.
As the set is made of clay that needs to be dug, the set can make a mess. Use a mat under the eggs to minimize mess or have the kids dig outside. Some children may have issues digging will need parental help.
- ✔PLAY IN A NEW WAY - 2019 new discovering toys, find the dinosaur eggs and dig it up! Experience the fun of archaeologists and discover the extinct dinosaurs, it's absolutely a novel toy for your child.
- ✔12 EXTINCT DINOSAURS - Package includes 12 dianosaurs eggs with 12 different dinosaurs. Parasaurolophus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Corythosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, Apatosaurus, Stegoceras, Plesiosaur.
- ✔EASY TO DIG - The dinosaur eggs are made of natural clay and premium ABS material, safe for kids. Comes with digging stick, very easy to dig, once your dinosaur is excavated, simply rinse off remaining clay, your child can play.
- ✔IDEAL GIFT FOR KIDS - Play with your kids, inspire children's creativity and imagination, and cultivate their interest in science, these dinosaur eggs is an ideal gift for kids and they will love it.
- ✔NO RISK PURCHASE - 100% high quality and satisfaction guarantee, we provide 24h best customer service. Feel free to contact us if you have any problems with the Dinosaur Eggs.
The Connectrix Junior works like a video game but with plastic sheets stuck into a base. Each unit comes with a base with two round yellow controllers with buttons. Also, find a selection of 24 learning cards to plug into the base for games.
Each card covers a different topic including alphabet, spelling, numbers, math, time, animals, science, geography, memory, anatomy, logical thinking along with so much more. Answer over 570 questions to improve knowledge. A great non-video game to entertain kids!
As the game comes with two controllers, your child can play with another person in co-op or by themselves. They pick a card put in the base enter the code using the buttons on the controller and then start answering questions. The toy creates a love for concentration, logic, and so much more.
Finally, great for children 3 and up to 8 years. Then you can pass down to younger siblings. Includes a timer setting so kids can even beat previous scores. Uses a mini LCD screen and LED lights to display answers and scores. Requires 3 AA batteries.
Will all the apps on tablets and video games everywhere from the computer to consoles, your child may find this game less interesting than other options available to occupy their time. The questions may start out too difficult for your child but give him time and he will learn from the toy which is the point!
- An interactive 1 to 2 player talking matching game with LCD displaying the progress and score while playing
- Our memory game comes with 24 cards which covers Alphabets, Spelling, Numbers, Math, Time, Animals, Science, Geography, Memory, Anatomy and answers more than 570 fun questions
- Our memory matching toy for 3 to 8 year olds features a Versus mode and a Co Op mode so that your kids can compete against each other or you can all solve the puzzles together
- Help your toddler develop essential skills such as Problem Solving, Concentration and Logical thinking with our advanced interactive learning toy for boys and girls
- Requires 3 AA alkaline batteries that are included; Intended for early learners and preschoolers of ages 3 and up
Are you planning a road trip? Grab the LeapFrog Go-with-Me ABC Backpack to entertain your child and help them practice their alphabet. This unique toy combines a few different elements to keep kids engaged while learning. The whole toy folds up and looks like a little backpack.
When you open the backpack each of the two sides offers a different activity. The first side has colorful alphabet spots with magnets that fit inside. Animal pictures coordinate with each letter and your child puts the correct magnet in to hear the animal name.
Other modes come with the letter side allowing kids to pick from seven activities. Let your child pick from letter names and sounds, reading, drawing, animals, and more. The set teaches letter and animal recognition, phonics, reading, spatial reasoning and tons of other skills.
The other side offers a magnetic drawing board with an LCD screen. They can draw a letter and watch that letter show up on the mini screen. Then they can slide the eraser and start over. A pencil with a storage spot is on the other side. Also, find all the letters for easy viewing and copying around the screen. The screen even draws little animals to entertain little ones.
Small parts mean this works best for three and up but four-year-olds will get the most benefit. Also, the loose magnets can disappear into seat cushions and the floorboard of your car. Requires 2 AA batteries.
- Open this unique backpack for interactive learning activities including 26 letters, a write and erase board and a variety of games
- Seven activities introduce letter names and sounds, writing, reading, drawing and animals. Includes 26 letter pieces that can be plugged into the interactive letter spaces to explore the letters of the alphabet
- See the letters appear on the LCD screen, hear the letter name, an animal that begins with that letter and more
- Follow along on the writing board while Mr. Pencil introduces letter writing. Letter Animals mode, turns the letters into animals you can draw
- Designed by LeapFrog experts for children 3-6 years old. 2 AA batteries required (included for product demonstration only; replace for home use)
Let your child enjoy a fair game at home and learn in the process! The Interactive Whack a Frog Game comes with a mallet and little frogs your child can whack as they play games. The whole toy resembles a frog with a few minor differences.
First, nine adorable little frogs sit on the base of the frog-shaped toy ready to get a beating. The frog feet are buttons to play music or pause the game. Between the eyes sits a small LCD screen.
Second, allow your child to learn important skills with a mallet. The game improves hand-eye coordination, attention span, communication skills, teamwork, and more. Whack-A-Frog comes with two different game modes for 38 challenging speed games that increases with each level.
Finally, the game is perfect for interacting with your kids or for two children to play together. Requires batteries but they are not included. Includes two mallets for multiple players. Also, you can adjust the volume with the slider button on the side.
The game does not teach letters, numbers, or any other literary skills but still teaches all the skills above. The mallet can do some damage to other objects. Make sure your child knows to only use the mallets on this toy and not too hard or without parental permission.
- GREAT DEVELOPMENTAL TOY – The Whack-A-Frog can help develop fine motor skill, encourage the development of your toddler's hand-eye coordination and attention span. Also, encourages toddlers to cooperate and take turns to play whack a frog game, develop communication skills. They will love this gift and play with parents or friends for hours.
- FUN & SAFETY FIRST - The Whack-A-Frog features two different game modes and a total of 38 different speed changing levels which will increase in difficulty as you progress. Comes with 2 pcs hammers which are soft, will not hurt themselves, or others.NOTE: the batteries not included!
- PARENT-CHILD GAME - The Whack-A-Frog is the perfect interactive toy for both children and adults to enjoy together, competing to see who can get a better score. Improve children’s concentration and hand-eye coordination as they try and get the best score they can keeping track of the flashing frogs.
- The BEST GIFT FOR 3 TO 10 YEARS KIDS- Our interactive Whack-A-Frog toy was designed as a great present in the safest possible ways: it has smooth edges, soft hammers and we used premium materials during production because we know you want only the best for your kids. Give as a birthday and holidays (Children's day, Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving & New Years) present for toddlers, a job is well done, your thoughtful gift will put a big smile on a cute little face.
- GUARANTEED PURCHASE - We stand behind our products. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us.
Finally, your kiddo is old enough for Legos! Remember to make sure they don’t leave them on the floor in common areas as it hurts to step on Legos. The Lego Junior sets, like the Incredibles 2 Great Home Escape Building Kit, are easier to build for new Lego users between the ages of 4 to 7.
Most kids love the Disney Move Incredibles, both boys and girls, which makes this set perfect for your child. They can build a house facade, waterfall, poll, lounge chair with catapult functions and a car with a removable catapult. Includes figures of favorite characters from the movie including Violet, Dash and Brick, along with baby Jack-Jack.
The 178 piece set offers tons of learning and fun without batteries. Some skills include creativity, problem-solving, beginning math, persistence, self-esteem, planning, and lateral thinking. A great toy for playing with older siblings or with friends. With so many Lego sets available your child can build an entire Lego world!
Legos have lots of little pieces and do not come with a storage container. You may want to purchase a shoebox-sized container for each Lego kit you purchase for easy storage options.
- Build a house facade and wall with moving fireplace, control panel and indoor waterfall with door, plus a pool section, lounge chair with catapult function and a car with removable catapult
- Includes 3 figures: Violet, Dash and Brick, plus a baby Jack-Jack figure
- Use the lounge chair by the pool to launch the Jack-Jack fireball at Brick's car and slow her down
- House scene measures over 3” (9cm) high, 7” (19cm) wide and 3” (8cm) deep Pool measures over 2” (6cm) high, 2” (7cm) wide and 1” (5cm) deep Brick’s car measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (10cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide
Questions About The Best Educational Toys for 4-Year-Olds
Is my child up for more complicated toys?
Yes! Over the last year, your child might seem so different! Less baby talk, more independent, and ready to increase understanding of skills they have learned. Adding more complicated toys to your child’s collect improves skills while also preparing them for school.
Try to make sure you have a wide range of toys to engage your kid. Also, while video games can be complicated, limit screen time and instead find toys that teach without all the lights and sounds. Try out puzzles, color-by-number, and even hide and seek as these single activities help children to develop their levels of comprehension.
My child doesn’t enjoy role-playing is that normal?
Some kids want to be Peter Pan and then the next minute they are a doctor saving the world. Other kids just want to move and expend energy. Another child might only role-play when playing with other children.
As long as your child is learning the necessary skills, don’t worry. Every kid is different and some learn by mimicking or pretend play while others learn by doing. Neither is right nor wrong it’s just a personal preference.
Do board games teach valuable tools to 4-year-olds?
Absolutely! Learning to share and take turns are two very important lessons kids can learn during their life. Even better, board games help to develop healthy competition and teach children to handle losing well. Many board games inadvertently teach reading, math, problem-solving, creativity and so much more.
Wrapping Up With The Best Educational Toys for 4-Year-Olds
Finding educational toys for 4-year-olds is easy because they still have so much to learn. However, finding educational toys they love can pose a problem with all the electronics in the world vying to steal your child’s attention. The best educational toys for kids offer hours of fun with natural learning like the Dino Egg Dig Kit – Sugoiti 12 Packs Dinosaur Eggs Dig And Discover Dinosaur Eggs Toys.
Kids don’t even realize they are learning as they dig for buried treasures and travel to the past! Pick toys that allow room for imagination as kids’ minds have so many wide-open doors ready to explore. This list works great for both holidays and birthdays.
- Best Educational Toys For 12 Year Old
- Best Educational Toys For 2 Year Old
- Best Educational Toys For 3 Year Old
Last Updated on