5 Best Toddler Bed Rails – Keep Your Child Tucked In
Transitioning from a crib to a big kid’s bed can be a safe, easy move with the help of best toddler bed rails or bumpers to ensure wiggly children do not fall or roll out of bed.
The right bumpers can prevent an accident. However, each families sleeping practices are different and different rails work better for each family.
If you just want a little extra security, foam bumpers can provide a little extra security. Meanwhile, traditional steel frame rails with a mesh cover keep even the most wiggly kids in bed and off the floor. Find the best options below but make sure your mattress will work with the rails you intend to buy as some are for cribs and others are for regular-sized beds.
Best Toddler Bed Rails
When you need a set of rails for your child’s bed, there are a lot of options to choose from. There are several different styles from a variety of manufactures, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. We went through the latest available to save you the trouble, and came up with our picks for best toddler bed rails:
The passive safety protection feature of this side rail protects without creating a barrier which means you can reach your child immediately in case of a nightmare, a bathroom break, or a cuddle. Even the most active sleepers can train to stay in bed at night with this rail.
The pressure of the sheets on the mattress work together with the bumper to keep the rail firmly in place with a non-skid silicone bottom. Install in a second by fitting under all fitted sheets and mattress protectors on the bed, including the mattress protector.
When necessary, remove the water-resistant cover and toss in the machine for a thorough cleaning. If you would rather, you can spot clean the zippered cover. The cover is hypoallergenic, BPA, and chemical-free to keep your child safe from allergens.
Finally, use with toddler beds up to a king-sized bed. The foam rail once fluffed out should measure 4.5 inches high by 52 inches in length and 7 inches wide. Only comes with one rail but at a low price, so two are quite affordable.
The government mandates bed rail companies warn people that bed rails are for adult bed only because of the potential for entrapment by the wall. However, this bumper is not made of metal and does not create the same issues as a traditional bed rail.
Lastly, as the bumper positions on the mattress but under the fitted sheets, it’s only as secure as your sheets. Do not use silk sheets and if your bed is a very slippery fabric, then you may want to consider putting down some felt fabric or even fleece underneath the bumper to prevent slipping.
- PASSIVE-SAFETY PROTECTION - Invented at Stanford University based on the principle of "Passive-Safety Protection," the gentle touch of the bumper subconsciously triggers your child's natural "Passive-Safety" response, letting them know they are close to danger and should move away.
- RESPONSIBLY MANUFACTURED | CertiPUR-US FOAM is made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP ("Tris") flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, CFCs. It is performance-tested, durability-tested & emissions-tested by independent accredited testing labs. Trust the best. WATER-RESISTANT, WASHABLE COVER with silicone beaded non-skid fabric stays firmly in place.
- PERFECT PROTECTION FOR ACTIVE SLEEPERS - hiccapop bumpers are the perfect height and ideally sized to allow ample room for your little one to stretch out while sleeping. hiccapop bumpers fit toddler beds, twin, full, double, queen and king beds. Do NOT use on top bunks or loft beds.
- INSTALLS SAFELY IN SECONDS, FITS UNDER ALL DEEP-FITTED SHEETS - *[New in 2020]* SOFT WATER-RESISTANT, WASHABLE COVER with silicone beaded non-skid fabric stays firmly in place. Simply spread out the fabric flap under the fitted sheet and your child's weight will hold the bumper in place while she sleeps. Unlike traditional metal bed rails, hiccapop bumpers install safely in seconds.
- PASSES ALL FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS FOR BEDRAILS – hiccapop bedrails are hypoallergenic, non-toxic, PHTHALATE & BPA Free. Unmatched quality and backed by a 100% LIFETIME GUARANTEE.
Reaching your child is a breeze with the patented swing-down feature. Pivot the bed rail down and lock the tabs to change the rail position out of the way to a flat position. With the rail facing the floor, you can easily help your child out of bed or to change the sheets and blankets.
Furthermore, the assembly does not require any tools. Score! No Ikea flashbacks. To secure, anchor the strap that secures the bed rail to the bed following the included instructions. The steel frame ensures structure and safety.
The frame works with twin, full, and queen-sized beds. At 54 inches long and 20 inches high, this extra long bed rail keeps toddlers safe from falling to the floor.
Lastly, the rail comes with Regalo’s patented Gap Guard to protect your little ones from gaps forming between the rail and the mattress. The mesh nylon fabric stands up to the most durable kicks and can handle a machine washing or a spot clean.
This bed rail works with a box spring and mattress not with a mattress only. If you have a foam mattress with no box spring, you may want to pick another bed rail guard. However, this does work with thick mattresses, however, if you have a massive pillow top you may find this inadequate.
Also, some consumers received bed rails shorter than advertised. No one wants to measure to make sure the right item arrived but with this option check before you cannot return.
- SWING DOWN: The patented swing down feature allows this bedrail to pivot down and out of the way when getting in and out of bed or removing sheets
- EXTRA LONG AND EXTRA SAFE: 54-inches long (hinge point) and 20-inch tall for added security
- EASY TO SET UP: No tools required
- SECURE: Anchoring strap that secures the bedrail to the bed. Designed with all steel frame
- FIT: For use with a twin to queen size bed. PLEASE NOTE, ONLY for use with bed and box spring
Like the last rail, this one folds down in second for access to your child. Use the passive safety latches to pop the rail back up into the correct position into a secure lock to keep even the most wiggly children securely in bed. The rail measures 33 inches long by 16 inches tall for a safe environment children can see over for extra comfort.
No tool necessary when following the simple instructions to attach the rails in just minutes. The rail will fit all major brands of convertible cribs accept those made by Ikea. Do not use this rail on a traditional bed, it’s intended for converted cribs only. However, it may work on toddler beds as well but only if they have a frame to attach it too similar to a crib.
The metal clamp under the bed can lift some mattresses and can cause the clamp not to lay flat. If your child has a thick mattress, the rail may not work but it should work with all standard crib or toddler bed mattresses. Lastly, while the rail works with most crib models, it may not work smoothly with all models and you may run into a few complications when setting up.
- ONLY CRIB RAIL THAT FIRMLY ANCHORS TO BED FRAME WITH STEEL CLAMPS for 100% safety. Cannot slip out of place like other crib rails.
- UNMATCHED QUALITY - Hardened steel throughout, and heavy-duty fabrics that will never fray or tear. Design, safety, quality and unsurpassed customer service...that's hiccapop!
- FOLDS DOWN FOR BEDTIME STORIES - Makes transition from crib to toddler bed fun and STRESS-FREE!
- ASSEMBLES IN MINUTES - Our convertible crib bed railing is designed for simple, intuitive, stress-free installation. No tools needed. Includes easy-to-follow instructions. FITS ALL MAJOR BRANDS OF CRIBS (except IKEA).
- PASSES ALL FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS. LEAD-FREE PAINT AND NO PHTHALATES
Installing couldn’t be easier as the bumper only takes three simple steps. Open the package and let the foam fluff out from the vacuum packaging. Place the bumper on the bed and finally, place the fitted sheet over the bumper. The non-slip silicone on the bottom helps to keep the bumper where it belongs.
Don’t worry about safety. The bed comes without ozone depleting toxins, flame retardants, dangerous metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and VOC emissions.
Finally, at 52 inches long by 4.5 inches high and 6.5 inches wide, this rail is the most versatile as it works with a toddler, twin, full, queen, or king-size beds. The zippered removable cover you can toss in the wash or spot clean as needed.
As the package arrives vacuum sealed, it may take a while to fluff out and take longer than expected. Give the memory foam bumper three days to form fully to the correct size and shape.
- 【CONFORTABLE & USER-FRIENDLY】Compared to traditional prison-style metal rail, the foam bed bumpers through provides gentle touch as a subconscious signal to remind your toddlers that they are close to danger and should move away.
- 【MEMORY FOAM PADDING & NON SKID COVER】High-density memory foam provides a soft touch to kids while also firm enough to prevent them from falling off the bed. The cover is made of non-slip silicone and airy cotton fabric, machine washable.
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】The child bed bumper only needs three simple steps to be used. First, open the vacuum package to allow the foam to rebound to its original shape. Second, place it on the mattress. Third, cover the fitted sheet.
- 【SUITABLE SIZE FOR MOST AGES AND BEDS】Dimension: 52" x 6.5" x 4.5". The bed rail bumper is great for toddler\twin\full\queen\king size beds. Ideal for infant\baby\toddler\children\kids\seniors\adults using.
- 【30 DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEE】Foam is CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance. GUARANTEED quality that stands out in other sleep bed bumpers. 30 days of refund guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied, no questions asked!
The price comes in low and with one foam rail guard, so you can afford a second for the same bed or a second child. Also, you can take this one on the road with you as it’s lightweight. You may not want to take it on a plane as it measures 52 inches in length by 7 inches wide and 4.5 inches high. It is however long enough for safety without overwhelming the bed whether at home or on the road.
A non-slip bottom keeps the bumper under the sheet at the edge of the bed. Take the zippered cover off to wash. This cover is unique as it’s made of soft bamboo with a waterproof backing which works well for environmental friendly parents. The cover is water-resistant, hypoallergenic, non-toxic, phthalate, and BPA free.
Lastly, installation couldn’t be easier as you simply place the bumper on the bed under the fitted sheet. The bumper works as a passive safety measure to reassure you and your child they will not fall out of a new higher bed. Great for transitioning from a crib.
The bumper while portable, does not attach to anything on the bed so it can move around if a child moves too much. Also, the bumper is not high enough to prevent larger children from falling off the bed if they wiggle a lot.
- Perfect for transitioning from crib to big bed; works with any size bed from toddler to king
- Features a non-slip bottom so you can rest assured that your child is safe and sound
- Our super soft bamboo cover is natural and washable, yet still water resistant so the bumper can last you years to come
- So easy to install and ultra-light for travel. Size: 52x7x4.5"
- Our bed bumper conforms with all federal safety regulations including ASTM F2085-12 Safety Specification for Portable Bed Rails - Child may roll over the bumper, or push aside, and it is not intended to prevent falling out of the bed.
FAQ’s About Bed Rails
When does my child need bed rails?
When you move your child out of a crib, the best toddler bed rails might ease the transition. Not all toddlers need rails when they move to a bigger bed. Some kids stay in their bed all night long and never fall out. Other kids fall out multiple times a night.
The only way to find out which way your kid will roll or not roll is trial and error. If you would rather be safe, you can purchase the rails before your child transitions to a big bed using one of the best options on this list.
How can I make sure my child stays in bed even with the rails?
Training a child to stay in bed can prove to be a difficult challenge indeed, even with the best toddler bed rails. The easiest method is to sit by their bed the first night and gently guide your child back to bed the first night. The second night, sit by their door inside their room and guide them back to bed. On the third night, sit outside their door and guide them back to bed.
This method will reinforce that they belong in bed at night. Make sure you follow a bedtime routine every night. Get a drink of water, brush teeth, go to the bathroom, read a book, and then straight to bed with a hug and a kiss. Consistency will teach children to follow this routine and stay in bed.
Should I have one or two bed rails?
Whether you need two bed rails depends on the bed. Does the bed lay flush against one wall? Then you will only need one rail guard. However, if the bed is open on both sides, then you will need to rail guards.
How can I ensure my child’s bed is the safest place with the bed rails?
The best option to keep your child’s bed safe beyond the rail is to keep one side of the bed flush with the wall preferably with a headboard between the mattress and the wall. Then the bumper would be on the side facing the wall.
Other options for safety include using a soft rug or cushions on the floor in case your child falls despite the rail. If you have a trundle bed, you could keep the lower mattress pulled out for a soft landing. Another option, use a toddler bed which is usually much lower to the ground than a twin bed.
Can I build my own bed rails
If you have some carpentry skills you can create your own custom set of bed rails. Buying one of the sets in our review will likely be less expensive and time consuming, but if you want something crafted to match the room decor it isn’t a terribly difficult project. Here is a good YouTube video showing how to construct a set of custom toddler bed rails:
In conclusion, make sure all the bed’s bolts or screws are tight and safe. If you have further concerns check Consumer Product Safety Commission for further information.
The Toddler Bed Rail By Shinnwa work as the preferred option for best toddler bed rails. They come in a two pack and provide a barrier to prevent your child from falling out of the bed but with memory foam for added comfort. Steel frame rails may keep kids securely in the bed. However, no one wants to wake up against a metal frame when foam is a softer option. Shinnwa also offers the option of a single bumper, as well.
With the low price you can afford to try this first. If you find your child moves too much, you can always try one of the other rails. Either way, you will sleep better knowing your child is tucked safely into bed at night.